Murders on Nanga Parbat...

8:14 p.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I don't have many words to say pertaining to this sad story but regardless here is the article. 

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/mountaineering/David-Roberts-on-the-Nanga-Parbat-Massacre.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebookpost 

This story creates such an empty void in my stomach.

Honestly it makes me pretty nauseous.

Thoughts?

8:57 p.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

No words. I have no words for that.

I'm no mountaineer, but even I know Nanga Parbat is a holy place.

9:17 p.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

We heard about this while we were climbing in the Peruvian Andes the day after it happened.

Climbing and adventure travel in the Karakoram and Himalaya has been becoming more risky in the past few years.

11:01 a.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,497 forum posts

The world is not a serene place and this actually does not surprise me much. Travel alerts abound and watching the evening news tells me there are parts of teh world to just steer clear of with plenty more adventures that are safer. Karakorum given the last years political climate would not be a place to be. I was in the Phillipines 30 years ago when the NPA was active. They were still actie decades later and kidnapped missionaries. I think as Americans we get a bit egocentric about how the worlkd works and who we are in it. One reason my trips are not on my own with just some pals. Even peru is not the best place to be out on your own. I will be with a good group on the beaten path. I am under no illusion that that is enough, but it is something.

6:06 p.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Why is it I keep seeing these types of things in and around that NE region of Afghanistan and NW section of Pakistan? Oh I know, because its only one of the most violent and war torn areas of the world. This is a major area for the taliban,insurgents, and just militants in general. This is also near a major arms smuggling route.

Unless you are being deployed there in the military... DON'T GO! It's not worth it people. I've been saying this exact same thing for many years now to any climbers setting out to this area, some who even posted here on Trailspace.

Its very sad indeed, but don't even think about going anywhere near there. And if you do go for some strange reason you better learn the language, and not dare speak a word of english while your in country. People just don't understand that they HATE us, they hate everything about us. They hate your language, they hate your clothes, they hate your fancy outdoors equipment, everything about us. They don't all hate us, but there are enough that do that you are certainly rolling the dice if you decide to go there. 

There are plenty of places to climb and experience the wonderful outdoors, including even "holy places" without going to a war zone.

I think its very sad this happened, but am in no way even remotely suprised. I was around that region quite a bit, and i think its just foolhardy to go there. They do this kind of thing to their own people, what makes you think a foreigner would be safe?

12:38 p.m. on August 26, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

TheRambler said:

People just don't understand that they HATE us, they hate everything about us. They hate your language, they hate your clothes, they hate your fancy outdoors equipment, everything about us. 

It's unfortunate but true. American backpackers travelling in Europe used to sew Canadian flags to their packs so they wouldn't get harassed, but since our troops went to Afghanistan, we're no longer safe either. There seem to be very few countries in the world where westerners are even tolerated (and then only for their money!) let alone liked. 

It's a shame, but it's the way the world works now. 

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply