Harness shorts?

7:14 a.m. on January 27, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,231 forum posts

I'm not a climber and really don't know any outside of this forum but out of pure curiosity what do you climbers think about harness shorts? http://www.campsaver.com/realization-harness-shorts

I suppose these things are sturdy enough, being purpose built and all, but something about it just seems wrong.

10:38 a.m. on January 27, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,442 reviewer rep
745 forum posts

If you notice at the bottom of the page it says, "Suitable for bouldering and urban climbing." Definitely not big wall stuff.

2:47 p.m. on January 27, 2014 (EST)
13 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

My major concern is there appears to be no way to inspect the harness, I like to be able to have a really good look at anything my life depends on.

4:03 p.m. on January 27, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

First thing is that Mammut is a major Swiss company that specializes in climbing and skiing gear. We have some of their gear and it is well made, well designed, and well suited for the intended purpose.

Second thing is that these shorts are intended for sport climbing. I am not sure where CampSaver (the company Patman linked) got the idea that the intended purposes are urban climbing (what's that? Gymn climbing??) and bouldering (you don't need a harness for bouldering, in general - just good spotters).

The built-in harness does meet UIAA standards for climbing. I have looked at them, most recently last week at the OR Show. I do not do a lot of sport climbing, mostly multi-pitch trad routes on rock, ice climbing (they aren't for that, though a friend does wear T-shirt and shorts sometimes on short ice routes), and mountaineering (I have photos of the same friend on a glacier at 18,000 ft in the Andes - he seems impervious to the cold). It isn't any different from spring-fall climbing in shorts while wearing a harness, except that your harness is integrated with the shorts. My impression is that the harness itself is derived from one of Mammut's regular harnesses (Zephir, looks to be the closest), with the shorts wrapped around the harness, not the other way around. That is, it is a harness with shorts added, not shorts with an added harness. There are loops for hanging your draws on it (hence primarily a sport route harness).

I haven't used them myself, nor seen them in use, and don't think they would serve well for my type of climbing.

5:53 p.m. on January 27, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,442 reviewer rep
745 forum posts

Bill S said:

the intended purposes are urban climbing (what's that? Gymn climbing??)

I thought the same thing. Urban climbing?

12:47 p.m. on January 28, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

I was hoping that someone would point out that bouldering, by definition is sans-harness, thanks Bill. 

I see it as a pair of shorts that I can ONLY wear climbing = silly idea.  Truly, do you want to wear a harness under your shorts around town or to the beach?  Better yet, do you REALLY want to even wear your harness on the approach hike to a crag?  For what its worth I say no.

12:53 p.m. on January 28, 2014 (EST)
BRAND REP
12 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

I think it is overkill.  I don't see the need for anyone to always be wearing their harness, not to mention it is probably uncomfortable on rigorous hiking conditions.  At $200, I think I'll keep the $60 harness that works just fine!

lol on the "bouldering in the harness" disclaimer!

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply