Alpine climbs in Colorado

10:11 p.m. on March 14, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. -, Jake

Got an invite to go climbing with someone in the Boulder area for this summer, but I really don't know the area. Could anyone suggest a good alpine snow/ice climb. I'm thinking overnight to maybe three days, moderately technical, most definately a climb where isolation is guarenteed.

4:00 p.m. on March 15, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

There is an abudance of alpine climbing in Rocky Mountain National Park, about 45 minutes to an hour away from Boulder. In the summer, alpine rock climbing is probably the most reliable bet and there is a lot of it. The alpine snow/ice climbs usually come into condition in spring and fall when the melt/freeze cycle begins a descent amount of alpine ice forms for about a month or two during those seasons. It is really tough to say what will be in condition in the summer months though, you really just have to wait and see. Rocky Mountain National Park is an amazing place no matter what time of year. Hope this helps, have a great time.

Quote:

Got an invite to go climbing with someone in the Boulder area for this summer, but I really don't know the area. Could anyone suggest a good alpine snow/ice climb. I'm thinking overnight to maybe three days, moderately technical, most definately a climb where isolation is guarenteed.

10:08 a.m. on March 16, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Colorado

,most definately a climb where isolation is guarenteed.

Nothing like this in Colorado.

chris

7:56 p.m. on March 18, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

How about the Aspen area?

While we're at it, I'm planning on heading out to my brother's place in Aspen this July. What are some good climbs in that area? My partners will mostly be inexperienced, so I'm looking for less technical, big peak kind of stuff.

Quote:

2:06 p.m. on June 14, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Dan
Re: Colorado

Quote:

chris

Definatly try the Mohling Traverse, Ice, rock and snow. In the indian peaks. Look for it in Jerry Roache's "Guide to the Indian Peaks Wilderness"
You will not be dissapointed. its a couple days round trip.

2:06 p.m. on June 14, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Dan
Re: Colorado

Quote:

chris

Definatly try the Mohling Traverse, Ice, rock and snow. In the indian peaks. Look for it in Jerry Roache's "Guide to the Indian Peaks Wilderness"
You will not be dissapointed. its a couple days round trip.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply