Giraud Peak

11:48 a.m. on February 8, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Anyone done the north face of Giraud Peak in the Sierra Nevada. I'll be out in late July, and I'm wondering about the snow gulley that accounts for a lot of the route, whether its really alpine neve or a lot of ice (assuming regular snow-pack year). Just wondering if I should pack ice screws or not.

5:56 p.m. on February 11, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Anyone done the north face of Giraud Peak in the Sierra Nevada. I'll be out in late July, and I'm wondering about the snow gulley that accounts for a lot of the route, whether its really alpine neve or a lot of ice (assuming regular snow-pack year). Just wondering if I should pack ice screws or not.

One TR I read mentions angles up to 80degs: (http://www.climber.org/TripReports/1996/devils.html)

Not having climbed this one, but others in the Sierra, I'd recommend screws for sure. Given the dryness of the sierra over the last year or two it could likely be very hard alpine ice by that time.
Was in the Pali's in July this year and it was bullet proof ice.
Cheers,
Christian :?)

9:53 a.m. on February 22, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Thanks, Christian. I've never seen anything on the North Face beyond the Secor description and the trip report you mentioned. Should be fun.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply