Rages over WI5

12:08 p.m. on March 11, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Anyone tested Rages on WI 5-6 and over? hooking, bulges, overhangs, thin ice? anyone can compare them with Machines and/or Quarks?

Thanks for any input, P

11:04 p.m. on March 11, 2002 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I have used the rages on WI 5 before and I didn't like them. I felt that they just didnt sink as well as the other BD tools. And they deffinetly dont clear bulges as well as the Quarks or Cobras do. I have seen 2 sets of Rages that have hade the platic pomel on the bottom of them break off within the first season of use. I currently climb with Quasars and think they have a more natural feel on waterfall ice. You might want to look at the Axars. They are a great tool, far better than the Rages. The Axars are one of if not the most versatile tools around. They are my next set of tools for sure.

Quote:

Anyone tested Rages on WI 5-6 and over? hooking, bulges, overhangs, thin ice? anyone can compare them with Machines and/or Quarks?

Thanks for any input, P

11:53 p.m. on March 11, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I have only used

Rages on Grd 2 ice, which is my limit right now, but there are more things to compare than climbing performance. Take for instance, every CM icetool uses a different pick, if you can find them that is. To change a pick on CM takes 2 different tools and one must deal with tiny little bolts and nuts that are hard to grasp and can and do strip out. Wow, I would hate to break a pick up there on that cicle and have to change out a CM. I dont have that T-shirt but 2 of my buds do, they own BD now. I have not been in every state but, every climbing shop I have been to in Col, Utah, Az, Cali, Wash, Id and 2 inside Canada all had several BD picks avail, funny, I dont remember seeing very many CM picks but in Canada. AMH in Alaska has a shoe box full of BD picks and at times, no CM picks because they can be hard to find and stock because of all the different picks that require to be stocked.

All the climbers I watch climb and talk to who climb WI5 / 6 ice say its all hooking when you get above WI5 and swing feel is not as important.

Every single climber I know who uses Rages, cut off the little finger gaurd so they can be used for shaft plants in the alpine environment or pulling bugles, makes a better al around tool.

Cant say I ever heard of anyone saying the Axar is a grand all-around icetool, but hey, thats what makes horse racing.

Mr P, you might want to ck out BDs Fury icetool coming out in the fall. It wont be the all-round tool as the Rage but for cicle smashig, should be grand. Its an alum shaft Cobra, and yes, it does have the twist with a molded grip like the Rage and BDs most indestructable head and easiest to change picks on the market, and very easy to find too. I got to test drive one in Sept.

Belay-Off
The Barking Dawg

12:43 p.m. on March 15, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: I have only used

I saw the new BD tools you speak of at Ouray. Cobra head with curved aluminum shaft and a grip similar to the quark. The BD guy who had them said they were going to be called "vipers" though. Either way, they look cool.

Quote:

Rages on Grd 2 ice, which is my limit right now, but there are more things to compare than climbing performance. Take for instance, every CM icetool uses a different pick, if you can find them that is. To change a pick on CM takes 2 different tools and one must deal with tiny little bolts and nuts that are hard to grasp and can and do strip out. Wow, I would hate to break a pick up there on that cicle and have to change out a CM. I dont have that T-shirt but 2 of my buds do, they own BD now. I have not been in every state but, every climbing shop I have been to in Col, Utah, Az, Cali, Wash, Id and 2 inside Canada all had several BD picks avail, funny, I dont remember seeing very many CM picks but in Canada. AMH in Alaska has a shoe box full of BD picks and at times, no CM picks because they can be hard to find and stock because of all the different picks that require to be stocked.

All the climbers I watch climb and talk to who climb WI5 / 6 ice say its all hooking when you get above WI5 and swing feel is not as important.

Every single climber I know who uses Rages, cut off the little finger gaurd so they can be used for shaft plants in the alpine environment or pulling bugles, makes a better al around tool.

Cant say I ever heard of anyone saying the Axar is a grand all-around icetool, but hey, thats what makes horse racing.

Mr P, you might want to ck out BDs Fury icetool coming out in the fall. It wont be the all-round tool as the Rage but for cicle smashig, should be grand. Its an alum shaft Cobra, and yes, it does have the twist with a molded grip like the Rage and BDs most indestructable head and easiest to change picks on the market, and very easy to find too. I got to test drive one in Sept.

Belay-Off
The Barking Dawg

12:26 a.m. on March 16, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

You are correct

Last Sept when they were shipped to me for a test drive, they were called the Fury (not to mention they were a very ruff pre-production tool). Now they are the Viper (cobra) another snake name.

I was promised a final model Viper tool for spring testing and hope it arrives soon. Got the Crossbow ski though.

And, for those who dont know, the Viper comes with a permenant mounted stud in the shaft for use with the Android leash bottom half. No I have not seen it.

Belay-Off
The Barking Dawg

4:25 p.m. on March 25, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Thanks again. Waiting for Vipers or Grivel Tech Wing.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply