Locking biner recommendations?

11:04 a.m. on March 19, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Paul, Paul R, Paul R., Paul Raphaelson, PaulR

I'm trying to find a locking biner that I like. Looking for a big pear shaped one, with a twist lock (don't like screw sleeves). I've accumulated 3 over the years:

-A Clog biner that's nicely made, has a nice locking mechanism, but is too small.

-A BD airlock that's the right size and has the right kind of mechanism, but that's badly made. I've never said that about a piece of bd gear before, but this biner is crude and has a gate that sticks open. The other two i checked out at the store were worse.

-A Petzl William ball lock. Beautifully made, nice size, but the ball locking mechanism scares me. seems over engineered, and prone to jamming. one geeky night i ran it under a faucet and stuck it in the freezer, and sure enough it was locked shut until completely thawed. Not confidence inspiring!

Any ideas? Curious to know if anyone's tried the DMM Boa or Omega Jake.

1:51 p.m. on March 19, 2002 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

I mostly use the Petzl Attache (screw lock), but also have a couple of the William. I haven't had any problem in the field with the ball lock, except that it is harder to operate with heavy gloves or mittens than the screw locks. Interesting that yours froze when you filled it with water and solidly froze it. I have had screw locks get hard to operate when they got melted snow in them, but not the William.

I also have a couple other lockers (BD, Kong), and found no difference as far as cold weather is concerned in the field. Basically, I think what you are looking for is labelled as "HRM" or "Munter", in terms of size - that is, large enough to tie into a Munter hitch.

3:39 p.m. on March 19, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

We use a large # of alloy and steel locking biners commercially. Comments on what we have found.

Omega Jake - don't touch with a barge pole; hinge gets unreliable v quickly and locking cuff wears out with a little grit in no time.

Despite the fact that I'm irrationally prejudiced against them (they feel tinny!) the Kongs stand up OK.

Omega tempered steel rigging screwgates are cheap, strong and very good wearing. We have 50-60 of these. Second is the Stubai by preference. DMM also make some nice rigging/scaffolding biners.

Petzls are OK but v expensive here for no real gain in strength or durability. Same goes for BD.

We exclusively buy HB Comets for everyday commercial use (we have 60-80 of them) and they are the longest lasting, strongest and most reliable screwgates around for hard use. HB also make a very nice HMS - at the cost of some strength (all HMS's will be weaker due the pear shape).

Don't like ball or spin gates. They don't stand up to wear as well as screwgates in the longer term.

Have no experience with the alloy DMMs.

Cheers,

Macca

3:50 p.m. on March 19, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

HB Autolocker (Purple gate). Still works like new even when time for retirement.

7:23 p.m. on March 20, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I use the Petzl Am'D screwlocks and have a couple of the Attache screwlocks as well - never a problem. I've tryed both spin-ball versions (auto and manual lock) and there just too hard to operate by with one hand (especially if you got small stubbies like me), not to mention with gloves.

I just like the simplicity of the screwlocks - it just take discipline to keep checkin' em.

No other lockers on my rack.

My $.025

Mike

11:40 a.m. on March 25, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I use the cheapest REI locking biner available, still rated, still locks, plenty big, works well in cold temps, cheap to leave behind if needed.

Quote:

I mostly use the Petzl Attache (screw lock), but also have a couple of the William. I haven't had any problem in the field with the ball lock, except that it is harder to operate with heavy gloves or mittens than the screw locks. Interesting that yours froze when you filled it with water and solidly froze it. I have had screw locks get hard to operate when they got melted snow in them, but not the William.

I also have a couple other lockers (BD, Kong), and found no difference as far as cold weather is concerned in the field. Basically, I think what you are looking for is labelled as "HRM" or "Munter", in terms of size - that is, large enough to tie into a Munter hitch.

11:22 a.m. on November 4, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I exclusively use DMM Boas now. Big - really big (easy to use with gloves) and are holding up well so far

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply