About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Petzl Pirana

2:45 p.m. on April 17, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. cron

Anyone have any experience with the Pirana using a 8mm rope. Plan to do some canyoneering and find that my figure eight does not provide enough braking when using 8 mil single rope.

2:51 p.m. on April 17, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Scary movies...

Quote:

Anyone have any experience with the Pirana using a 8mm rope. Plan to do some canyoneering and find that my figure eight does not provide enough braking when using 8 mil single rope.

Way to slippery for a single 8mm, IMHO. Built for a wet 10mm static. Even with those additional breaking lugs, mine is too slippery. Would rule for flowing water, fat static, deep pools and waterfalls. More caters to that Euro style of canyon adventure.

Can add a munter on the leg of your harness in combo with your eight. Might work better.

I use an Omega SBG or an ATC for single skinny ropes.

Where you goin' canyoning??

Brian in SLC

11:28 p.m. on April 17, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. cron
Re: Scary movies...

Thanks for the Pirana info. Have you tried the omega SBG with an 8 mm rope. I weight 200 lbs and am wondering if the SBG would work for me.
Hope to check out Eardley and the Chute in The San Rafael Swell and Round Valley Draw, Egypt 3, and Davis Gulch in Escalante. Hope it isn't too cold in late May early June for these slots!

ron
Carson City

9:10 a.m. on April 18, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
SBG...

Quote:

Thanks for the Pirana info. Have you tried the omega SBG with an 8 mm rope. I weight 200 lbs and am wondering if the SBG would work for me.

Yep. SBG is a superior belay gaget...and I've used down to 7mm single. Uhhh...I'm a 100 kilos...

Works great. I've still used a munter on the leg for long long drops though. Or the shaft wrap. Nice option!

Quote:

Hope to check out Eardley and the Chute in The San Rafael Swell and Round Valley Draw, Egypt 3, and Davis Gulch in Escalante. Hope it isn't too cold in late May early June for these slots!

Might be too hot! Davis is usually pretty dry. We didn't use a rope in it. You seen the www.canyoneeringusa.com site? Fun stuff.

Brian in SLC

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply