Petzl Tibloc

10:01 p.m. on April 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. cron

Has anyone tried the tibloc with a 8 mil single rope. Plan to do some canyoneering and wanted to take a light weight ascender just in case the need arises. Have looked at the tibloc at REI and Petzl says ok for 8 to 12mm however the 8mm rope looked very small when placed in the tibloc. I find the people at REI are not very knowledgeable when dealing with hardware and small rope sizes.

ron

9:35 a.m. on April 20, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Storrick's website

http://storrick.cnchost.com/VerticalDevicesPage/Ascender/MiscAscenderPages/MiscAsc131.html

Hi Ron, I own a Tb, but I've not use it on a 8mm rope. Like other ascenders, "shock loading" the Tb can chew up your rope. I also pull down on the biner everytime, jut to make sure the teeth bite into the rope, before I transfer my weight to the Tb.
I got the above site from an old posting on this board. Play with the url to get other info. Good luck. :-)

10:59 a.m. on April 20, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

This is a much mis-understood device. Its not designed to hold or take shock loads. The main problem with using it or improper use is, once the Tibloc is on the rope and a crab is clipped, its a must to squeeze the Tibloc between your thumb and a finger so the teeth engage into the rope. The Tibloc even has a thumb notch on the spine side for this. If you dont, there is a great chance, near 99% it will slip and rip the sheath. If you do this everytime, all the time, there is no need to file any teeth off and I have yet to see it slip. But in all honesty, I have one and use it on occassion, I do not have extensive knowledge in all situations other knowing it must be used properly and it has never slipped once the teeth have been set even using 6mm cord. It also a grand idea to use a round-big diameter biner.

Belay-Off
The Barking Dawg

9:09 a.m. on April 22, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
RBS knot??

Quote:

Has anyone tried the tibloc with a 8 mil single rope. Plan to do some canyoneering and wanted to take a light weight ascender just in case the need arises. Have looked at the tibloc at REI and Petzl says ok for 8 to 12mm however the 8mm rope looked very small when placed in the tibloc. I find the people at REI are not very knowledgeable when dealing with hardware and small rope sizes.

I used to carry one, but, shredded a rope sheath with, so...

Just about everyone I know who used to carry a Tibloc has swapped 'em out for either a prussik or a Wild Country ropeman. Tibloc is too tough on rope. Some folk file down the first couple of teeth which seems to help...

Anyone try an RBS knot for ascending...?? Interesting lookin' critter...

Brian in SLC

10:48 p.m. on April 23, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

What's an RBS knot?? (n/t)

n/t

3:21 p.m. on April 24, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Check out Storrick's website...

Referenced in this thread.

Neat lookin' knot. Quick and seems reasonably secure when loaded. Unloaded, very easy (almost too easy?) to loosen and move up (or down).

Dunno if I can describe with words...

Clip a biner with the end loop of a sling or cord. Pass sling/cord around rope two times. Clip sling/cord thru biner. An ascending knot that "probably" could be done one handed, which is what might make it a nice one to keep in the collection of tricks.

Brian in SLC

2:20 p.m. on April 25, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,472 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts
steel carabiner

Brian -

I have a couple of old steel carabiners just like the one in the photo of the RBS on Storrick's site. Probably aren't worth anything.

11:52 a.m. on April 27, 2002 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
copper carabiner

Bill
I bet you have hand hammered copper biners from mesopatania.
JimS

2:21 p.m. on April 28, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,472 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts
Re: copper carabiner

No, but Brian in SLC does. He's a collector, though. He is much too young to have used them.

7:05 p.m. on April 30, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Steel...

Quote:

No, but Brian in SLC does. He's a collector, though. He is much too young to have used them.

Started climbing w/ steel biners, and 1 bedayn, for lack of better at the time! Ditto the thin gold line, swami, pins, etc...

Collectin' beats climbing...!

Gotta cool steel Marwa...funky shape, locker.

Brian in SLC

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply