Leki Poles - Help

11:58 a.m. on May 4, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi, here's a common question for which I don't know the answer...

I've had my trusty Lekis for years now and they have reached the point where I just can't get them to tighten down anymore. The threads on the compression fitting seem to be a bit chalky. Who has the best recommendation on how to spiff/lube them so that they will tighten the way they should. They're a real pain anymore!

Thanks,
C

7:11 p.m. on May 4, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I've had my trusty Lekis for years now and they have reached the point where I just can't get them to tighten down anymore. The threads on the compression fitting seem to be a bit chalky. Who has the best recommendation on how to spiff/lube them so that they will tighten the way they should. They're a real pain anymore!

I know the feeling- have used mine for thousands of miles and they look that way too. No plastic left on them whatsoever.

I'd try unscrewing them, a little dunk in warm water to clean them, then a spray with wd-40/triflo/olive oil... basically your choice of lubricant. I might stay away from the WD-40 actually though b/c it is basically kerosene and might harm the plastic. If all that doesn't work, try something a bit grippier, not like loc-tite, but more like a sexual lubricant.

In the meantime, I've found that if I push the section in all the way and turn slowly to get them to grip, I can then pull them out to desired length and then crank em.

Keep saving those knees,
Christian :?)

Cheers,

9:27 a.m. on May 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Jason Phelps

Quote:

Had the same problem. You can get leki replacement expansion fittings at many gear shops. There are two different sizes for the upper and lower sections. I also cleaned the pole sections with steel wool, inside and out. They work as good as new now. Personally, I wouldn't recommend lubricant tho, you need em' to grip - not slip.

Quote:

Thanks,
C

11:22 p.m. on May 5, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

See rec backcountry.
Steel wool is ok but may excessively polish the interior...those are/were mill marks. Try a little coarse sand paper to rescuff.
No Lubricants of any kind..They gum it up and frequently reguire new clean expanders...clean the interiors with hot/soapy water,several times to remove all mistakenly applied lubes,even graphite. Air dry completely, rassemble and go Hiking!

Quote:

Quote:

I know the feeling- have used mine for thousands of miles and they look that way too. No plastic left on them whatsoever.

I'd try unscrewing them, a little dunk in warm water to clean them, then a spray with wd-40/triflo/olive oil... basically your choice of lubricant. I might stay away from the WD-40 actually though b/c it is basically kerosene and might harm the plastic. If all that doesn't work, try something a bit grippier, not like loc-tite, but more like a sexual lubricant.

In the meantime, I've found that if I push the section in all the way and turn slowly to get them to grip, I can then pull them out to desired length and then crank em.

Keep saving those knees,

Cheers,

12:33 p.m. on May 6, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

sandpaper the plastic expanders /nt

sandpaper the plastic expanders /nt

3:17 p.m. on May 6, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Don't Use Lubricant!

Don't use lubricant of any kind. That will make it worse. The poles slip when the collars become contaminated and can't grip. Take everything apart, clean with soap and water, or in extreme cases, mild solvent. Make sure everything is clean and dry with no residue of any kind, and reassemble. They should work like new. If the collars are comletely worn out, you can get replacements, but most likely the cleaning will do it.

Quote:

Thanks,
C

11:16 p.m. on May 8, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

That chalky stuff is aluminum oxide. A wire brush works great on the threads.
Expanders are plastic and wear out. Care not to overtighten will increase longevity. If they don't hold at hand tight, try cleaning.
Again. No Lubricants. Anywhere in or on the poles!
With new expanders, carfully start the threads. Cross threading can lock them, and ruins the expanders.
Sanding worn expanders is a good temporary fix. Scrubbing with sand and rinsing in creek works too! Just dry before reassembling.
Go Hiking!

Quote:

Quote:

Keep saving those knees,

Cheers,

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply