2lbs of food a day high altitude

1:24 a.m. on May 26, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Someone said they saw an IMAX movie that stated that an Everest team only ate 10lbs of food a week per person on final assaults.

Its hard for me to figure out a hard climbing day's meal that only had about 2 lbs of food in it. How do you get that many calories (~6000kcal) out of 2 lbs of freeze dried.

Any ideas? Any links to Everest (or any 8K) toppers diets?

3:02 a.m. on May 26, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Just add water (n/t)

Quote:

Someone said they saw an IMAX movie that stated that an Everest team only ate 10lbs of food a week per person on final assaults.

Its hard for me to figure out a hard climbing day's meal that only had about 2 lbs of food in it. How do you get that many calories (~6000kcal) out of 2 lbs of freeze dried.

Any ideas? Any links to Everest (or any 8K) toppers diets?

11:21 a.m. on May 26, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

How do you get that many calories (~6000kcal)

Most probable outcome of consuming 6000cal a day at that altitude is indigestion and vomiting. Have you tried to eat that much?

Choking down 2000-4000 is quite a task. The goal is to eat enough so you don't deplete all your muscle and liver glycogen while burning your stored fat. Carry a little more love handles.

Favorite...potatoe flakes or pearls, instant chicken soup, butter powder, and small pieces of cheese, all mixed together, just add hot water....eat every meal of the day...just one food bag.

Where are you off to?

11:38 a.m. on May 28, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

true dat

it is an effort to choke down 1200 cals a day at altitude let alone 6k.

Go into it fat. And I mean 10-15lbs over your normal weight. You just eat yourself up high. Cant avoid. After 17-18k ft. you enter negative deficit territory(roughly means no matter how much you are able to choke down, your body will need more than you can possibly take in).

Go light and dried. Lighter means less calorie burning.

m

6:17 p.m. on June 20, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts
Just back from a month at altitude

You boost the amount of high fat foods. Some fats (vegetable fats) digest more easily than others. But the main thing is you eat constantly. We started eating as soon as we would awake, then top up every 30-60 minutes. Lots of bars (chocolate, Clif - uggghhhh, no Power-bars - they break your teeth), cheeses. Plus Gu and electrolyte replacements - lots of fluids to stay hydrated. Mix in hot drinks - cocoa, anything with lots of calories. As you acclimatize, your appetite comes back to a large extent. As we sat at 17k waiting for the winds to die down and skies to clear, we kept active by rebuilding and modifying windwalls all the time, and within a couple days, I was packing down meals twice as large as at home, plus the between meal bars and cheese. My tentmate counted up the calories on the various bars he took with him on summit day (and consumed all of them), with the result that he gobbled 2800 calories on the climb, plus something like 2200 at "breakfast" and another 2100 at "supper" after getting back. I didn't do as thorough a job of counting calories, but I was right there with him (the 9 Gu packets alone amounted to 900 kcal, plus add the liter of Bill Gookin's ERG, 3 Hershey bars, 2 Snickers, and a Milky Way, plus 3 sticks of string cheese).

Sorry, it's only anecdotal. I just ate, didn't try to record every kcal accurately. As Macca said, as for the freezedry, that's only the carboloading - Just Add WAter!!!

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply