pee on rope

6:41 p.m. on July 1, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

My partner accidentally pee on one end of a climbing rope. It's brand new, so I don't want to retire it. But I heard that urine is very bad to a rope. What should I do? Can I wash it off? Should I take the rope to a shop to cut the end off and then reseal it? (Can they do that?)

Any advice is appreciated.

10:25 p.m. on July 1, 2002 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

Check out this site for lots of info on rope retirement (and check out all the other helpful info. that Dawn has accumulated as well):

http://www.tradgirl.com/climbing_faq/safety.htm#retire

The most directly pertinent comment on peeing on your rope is as follows:

In a report on dynamic climbing ropes Pitt Schubert, President of the UIAA safety commission found the following....
3. Ropes soaked overnight in urine (!) had their strength reduced by 30%. However, this was only relevant when the rope was loaded over a sharp edge.

Presumably, you washed off the rope as soon as possible after it was peed on. (Can't imagine anyone letting it soak overnight unless no water is available, but who knows. ;-))

If you're still uncomfortable, by all means, cut off the soaked end. You don't need a shop for this, you can do it yourself easily. I'm not sure if there's a magic system for trimming ropes, but I've done this and it worked fine: Cut off the undesired section. Take your newly-created end and push the sheath back from the core strands and heat seal them. Heat sealing the core strands will shorten them up a bit, so that the segment of sheath that you pushed back can now be pulled up and over the sealed core. Do this, and heat seal the sheath.

If there's a better way of finishing the end of a newly trimmed rope (absent a real hotknife), I'd love to know it. Anybody?

7:12 p.m. on July 2, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Tokyo Bill,
Thanks a lot.

Quote:

Check out this site for lots of info on rope retirement (and check out all the other helpful info. that Dawn has accumulated as well):

http://www.tradgirl.com/climbing_faq/safety.htm#retire

The most directly pertinent comment on peeing on your rope is as follows:

In a report on dynamic climbing ropes Pitt Schubert, President of the UIAA safety commission found the following....
3. Ropes soaked overnight in urine (!) had their strength reduced by 30%. However, this was only relevant when the rope was loaded over a sharp edge.

Presumably, you washed off the rope as soon as possible after it was peed on. (Can't imagine anyone letting it soak overnight unless no water is available, but who knows. ;-))

If you're still uncomfortable, by all means, cut off the soaked end. You don't need a shop for this, you can do it yourself easily. I'm not sure if there's a magic system for trimming ropes, but I've done this and it worked fine: Cut off the undesired section. Take your newly-created end and push the sheath back from the core strands and heat seal them. Heat sealing the core strands will shorten them up a bit, so that the segment of sheath that you pushed back can now be pulled up and over the sealed core. Do this, and heat seal the sheath.

If there's a better way of finishing the end of a newly trimmed rope (absent a real hotknife), I'd love to know it. Anybody?

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply