Best Gore-Tex Jacket?

7:39 p.m. on July 22, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Rob

I am looking for a new one, (after using pataguccis Stretch Triolet, which didn

8:42 p.m. on July 22, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

tnf

Last month I bought a TNF Ama Dablam (replaces my old heavy TNF Mountain Light). It's light, 19 or 20oz vs. 25oz for the Arcteryx. It's cut close, and high enough at the waist for climbing. It's a no frills jacket that works, and was priced right (at the TNF outlet store). I've used it on 3 trips so far, and have no complaints. If I lost it, I would replace it with another of the same model (at the next outlet sale :)

Quote:

4:59 p.m. on July 23, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I am looking for a new one, (after using pataguccis Stretch Triolet, which didn’t work well), and was wondering What ones are good. I'm looking at the, Alpha SV. Just wondering.

Cloudveil Snaz is a great jacket. They've got it and other shells on sale at www.mgear.com at the moment.

6:58 p.m. on July 23, 2002 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
2nd TNF Ama Dablam

2nd the Paclite Ama Dablam.

I also have an OLD original TNF mountain light jacket that looks like new, is completely dry in a storm, has no tears or seam problems, has a great hood, the original snaps all work fine and my wife finds it nice enough to wear downtown on rainy days. Man have I gotten my moneys worth from that jacket. But now I carry the Ama Dablam.
Jim (:->)

2:44 p.m. on July 26, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Jason Phelps

Quote:

3:24 p.m. on July 29, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Paul, Paul R, Paul R., Paul Raphaelson, PR

I looked at all of them, and nothing was in the same league as Arc'teryx. Patagonia is very close. I also like mountain hardwear. TNF is not even in the same room, quality wise, though in real life it will work fine.

I shelled out painful amounts of money for the Arc'teryx stuff after all the comparisons, though in the future I'll probably go cheaper and buy things that aren't waterproof at all.

I find I wear my goretex jacket in the city and in rainstorms more than I wear it while alpine climbing.
I love the goretex pants any time it's cold enough for them, but on top I often don't wear a shell, or I'm happy with a very light uncoated shell.

I'm considering something like the Marmot driclime windshirt .. a baselayer shell you can layer over. Much lighter and faster and better breathing than the traditional layering systems.

Quote:

6:04 p.m. on July 30, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts
Ama Dablam

Just got my daily Sierra Trading Post catalog, and it has the Ama Dablam on clearance at $229.50, compared to the supposed regular price of $380. Course, every time I find something advertised in their catalogs this way, they are out of stock by the time I call.

12:50 a.m. on August 10, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

For mountaineering I really like the The North Face Kitchatna jacket. Looked at the Ama Dablam and liked it, but thought the Kitchatna was a better fit around the waist as it includes a waist cinch and a powder skirt. For an additional 8 ounces, it seems to be a worthwhile trade-off.

Quote:

4:55 a.m. on December 4, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Arc'teryx IS the best

For bomber material, the ultra fabric from MTn hardwear is tops (the full ultra jacket)

The Ice Nine from Patagonia is very nice.
A debateable feature is the hem/waist drawcords. They are not single-hand pull, though, this results in know "excess baggage" i.e. the pull-tabs/etc. hanging loose out your jacket or inside

Arc'teryx has the best hood.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply