Two BIG gear ???s......

6:06 p.m. on September 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

OK. These are two biggies.

One. I am building a basic gear rack for trad climbing and am looking for suggestions. I would like to be able to use the beaners for alpine also. Here is what I have come up with so far by asking others and looking around.

4-6 ovals to rack on
6-8 hotwires or quickwires-whats the diff?
2-3 lockers-looking like attaches
3 cams-looking at camalots but having trouble with sizing for best versatility. Any help here would be great.
4 runners. Should these be varying lengths?
5 Hexes. No brand pref here. Any thoughts?
Some ABC Huevos #1-13
A nut tool
A gear sling

Question #2. I want to buy a digital SLR. How much $$$ should I be looking to spend for a middle of the road camera and lens? Any brand/models you can recommend? Thanks guys.

11:17 a.m. on September 23, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

If you are going to use this stuff for alpine, wire gated biners are great. They are lighter, have a greater gate opening, don't freeze open, and gates do not slap open if the biner is smacked against the rock in a fall. Ovals are good for aid climbing, but are heavy (almost twice a light wire gate), are weaker, and have a smaller gate opening. I'd get the quickwire over the hotwire. They are cheaper and almost exactly the same size. Lots of shoulder length long runners are good for trad and alpine. I use tied runners since they are cheaper, and can be bailed off more easily. Getting gray color is better if you need to leave them on tree/anchor. They are less of an eye sore. I'd shoot for more than 3 cams total. If $ is a big issue, get 3 TCU's/ small cams, and then switch to rigid friends for the larger stuff. They can often be found used for very good prices and they are really durable. A standard set of stoppers should be fine. I double up on the medium size stuff and ditch the tiny ones, but that depends on where and what you are climbing.

Quote:

OK. These are two biggies.

One. I am building a basic gear rack for trad climbing and am looking for suggestions. I would like to be able to use the beaners for alpine also. Here is what I have come up with so far by asking others and looking around.

4-6 ovals to rack on
6-8 hotwires or quickwires-whats the diff?
2-3 lockers-looking like attaches
3 cams-looking at camalots but having trouble with sizing for best versatility. Any help here would be great.
4 runners. Should these be varying lengths?
5 Hexes. No brand pref here. Any thoughts?
Some ABC Huevos #1-13
A nut tool
A gear sling

Question #2. I want to buy a digital SLR. How much $$$ should I be looking to spend for a middle of the road camera and lens? Any brand/models you can recommend? Thanks guys.

10:34 a.m. on September 24, 2002 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

As mentioned by several folks the last time you asked, what gear you rack is going to depend a lot on where you're climbing. Ask around locally, or let us know where you're going to be doing most of your climbing.

As for cameras, digital SLRs start in the thousands of dollars and go way up from there. Check out photo.net for more info on cameras than you could ever need.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply