good beer, far away climbs

7:28 p.m. on September 24, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I'm curious to know what the very best local beer any of you have tried while climbing or mountaineering overseas and whether or not you might be able to get it in the USA? Thanks for any ideas you might have. Cheers, CDB

11:24 a.m. on September 27, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Chang...

Quote:

I'm curious to know what the very best local beer any of you have tried while climbing or mountaineering overseas and whether or not you might be able to get it in the USA? Thanks for any ideas you might have. Cheers, CDB

Chang in a tea house in Nepal, below the Imja Khola valley...

Though, not because it really tasted that good...

Wouldn't want to drink it in the USA....that's not the point...

Brian in SLC

1:40 p.m. on October 1, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Chang...

I was forced to drink my big chang beers on the topless beaches of Rai Ley in Thailand. Torture I tell you, torture.

matt

1:43 p.m. on October 1, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Cusquena and Crystal

Pretty damn good beer down in Peru. Lots of misplace euros started up breweries down there in the past.

Nice compliment to the potatoe based peruvian fair found in the recesses of huaraz. Pisco is the local whiskey that is good to try out as well in the form of the local pisco sours(not your typical whiskey sour by the way).

matt s

10:14 a.m. on October 8, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Scotland: McEwans 80 (at the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe)
France: Kronenbourg (at the 'Nash in Chamonix)

11:13 p.m. on October 20, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I'd have to agree with Matt. Peruvian brew was pretty darn good. A little hard to find but the dark versions were exceptional. Combined with a dish of greasy chicken and fries, there's nothin' better. 'Course it could have been the altitude in Huaraz.

7:43 p.m. on November 21, 2002 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

When you come all the way out to Bend Oregon to knock off the Oregon Cascades volcanoes and climb at Smith Rock, don't miss the Deschutes Brewery in downtown. Order an Obsidian Stout! It is 6.7% and very very tasty.
--Bob in Bend at www.TraditionalMountaineering.org

Quote:

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply