Waterproffing leather ice boots

6:51 p.m. on October 1, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi all,

I just bought myself a pair of Saloman Pro Ice. Very beautiful boots and fit my feet excellent. I am just wondering if anyone out there owns a pair of Pro Ice or similar leather ice climbing boots. Do you waterproff your boots? How are they hold up in the wet situation? Well. I'm not talking about crossing stream or something like like. I am just refering to as general approaching in the knee deep snow or the water dripping warm weather climb.

Can't wait for the first ice to be in to try try my new boots.

Thanks,

Loco

10:55 a.m. on October 3, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Brent, Reinhold Mess-Kit

I have a pair of Scarpa Freneys that I absolutely love for ice. They are similar to the SPI. I use a Nikwax brush-on leather treatment that works very well in the conditions you describe. I've found that the leather soaks up the solution much better when warm. I either set the boots in the sun for a few hrs, or warm them (VERY carefully) for a short period in the lowest oven setting with the door open. Also, the boot should be very clean before application. bw

8:58 a.m. on October 4, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've tried the brush on Nikwax liquid and found that it doesn't hold up well. You need to apply it almost every trip.

Instead, I used Nikwax Aqueous wax (this is paste in a tube) which has provided an extremely waterproof boot for me..

cheers,
d

11:21 a.m. on October 7, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
ditto the nikwax...

Quote:

Instead, I used Nikwax Aqueous wax (this is paste in a tube) which has provided an extremely waterproof boot for me..

I apply Freesole to all the seams/stitching prior to the Nikwax application...

Brian in SLC

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply