washing a rope

9:11 a.m. on October 31, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I accidentially got my rope dirty climbing yesterday, how do any of you reccomend cleaning it. The care guide that came with the rope suggests using a pillow case in a washing machine, but that just doesn't sound right. Anyways, how do some of you do it, and what kind of soap do you use.

Thanks,
Will

12:12 p.m. on October 31, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

You can use soap like Wholite or buy rope wash. Don't use detergent. I just use plain water.

1:50 p.m. on November 1, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

A capful of Woolite or nothing at all, in a standard home washer with a medium water level, works pretty well. It's not really necessary to add anything at all until the rope's getting pretty ratty, in my experience.

A pillow case isn't necessarily the best option, because it'll end up all nasty like the rope - it's not very porous. If you have a mesh laundry bag, you can flake the rope in and it'll get pretty clean, but with either option you'll have a weight on one side during spin that can damage your machine.

I'd recommend, following advice from r.c, to daisy-chain the whole damn rope, doubled, and lay it in the machine nicely. I've had excellent results in the rope not binding up on the center post or working to one or the other side, causing 'slamming' during spin. YMMV.
kelly

2:08 p.m. on November 1, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I accidentially got my rope dirty climbing yesterday, how do any of you reccomend cleaning it. The care guide that came with the rope suggests using a pillow case in a washing machine, but that just doesn't sound right. Anyways, how do some of you do it, and what kind of soap do you use.

Thanks,
Will

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatly, just after washing the rope I felt a big hard lump in the core near the center, so the rope was just retired.

Will

11:48 p.m. on November 21, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Don't use detergent.

Why not? Are you just repeating something you've heard, or do you actually know why one surfactant is to be preferred over another? Do you have any evidence, one way or the other?

8:37 p.m. on January 6, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Quote:

Don't use detergent.

Why not? Are you just repeating something you've heard, or do you actually know why one surfactant is to be preferred over another? Do you have any evidence, one way or the other?

Because my Maxim rope came with washing instructions saying
don't use detergent. Because "Knots & Ropes for Climbers",
Duane Raleigh, says don't use detergents.

Cheers,
Sam

9:55 p.m. on February 2, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I'd recommend, following advice from r.c, to daisy-chain the whole damn rope, doubled, and lay it in the machine nicely. I've had excellent results in the rope not binding up on the center post or working to one or the other side, causing 'slamming' during spin. YMMV.
kelly

i can second kelly's advice of daisy chaining the rope. i've also used dr. bronner's pure castille soap and it works fine, but kelly's right: you don't really need soap.
cheers, karen

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply