parka, anorak, jacket

1:42 p.m. on November 9, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Hi,

I wonder if you could help me. I

8:23 p.m. on November 11, 2002 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

Well, I'm no expert, but I'll take a shot at it since no one else has been willing to yet.

All three terms are generally used to describe outerwear.

"Jacket" and "Anorak" refer to two different fastening systems. A jacket opens all the way down the front, and the front opening is fastened with velco, zipper, buttons, snaps or some combination. By contrast, an anorak does not open all the way down the front. Instead the front is an unbroken piece of fabric, and the garment is pulled on over the head. An anorak typically will have a deep neck opening, fastened with velcro, zipper, buttons, snaps or some combination, to facilitate putting it on and to help with venting and internal temperature control.

The terms jacket and anorak convey no information about whether the garment is insulated or uninsulated, waterproof or not.

The definition of "parka" is more difficult. In general, I think a parka is understood to be an insulated outer garment. Most parkas tend to be jackets, because the front opening facilitates getting a thick, insulated garment on and off, and also helps with venting and internal temperature control. However, I think that it is also possible for a parka to be made in the anorak style.

Phew. My brain hurts. Any help from other posters much appreciated!

Hope this helps.

12:37 p.m. on November 12, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Craig, Wanderer

Quote:

Well, I'm no expert, but I'll take a shot at it since no one else has been willing to yet.

All three terms are generally used to describe outerwear.

"Jacket" and "Anorak" refer to two different fastening systems. A jacket opens all the way down the front, and the front opening is fastened with velco, zipper, buttons, snaps or some combination. By contrast, an anorak does not open all the way down the front. Instead the front is an unbroken piece of fabric, and the garment is pulled on over the head. An anorak typically will have a deep neck opening, fastened with velcro, zipper, buttons, snaps or some combination, to facilitate putting it on and to help with venting and internal temperature control.

The terms jacket and anorak convey no information about whether the garment is insulated or uninsulated, waterproof or not.

The definition of "parka" is more difficult. In general, I think a parka is understood to be an insulated outer garment. Most parkas tend to be jackets, because the front opening facilitates getting a thick, insulated garment on and off, and also helps with venting and internal temperature control. However, I think that it is also possible for a parka to be made in the anorak style.

Phew. My brain hurts. Any help from other posters much appreciated!

Hope this helps.

I agree pretty much with the above. The Anorak is a pull over usually with a half zip front and a jacket has a full zip. The parka is longer than the jacket. Usually the parka is hip length and the jacket is waist length. Most parkas have hoods although a jacket may have a hood too. Example: Mountain Harwear Makes a sub zero jacket and a sub zero parka. The difference is in the length. Parka, more butt coverage. Hope this helps.

4:52 p.m. on November 23, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

A parka/anorak almost always have a hood. A jacket may not.

8:30 a.m. on November 28, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

thanks!! n/t

Quote:

Hi,

I wonder if you could help me. I

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply