The perfect gloves for ice

12:56 p.m. on November 10, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Hi there,

For years I have been looking for that perfect gloves for ice climbing - warm and versatile. I am wondering what you will consider to be the "perfect glove system" for ice or mixed climb.

Loco

11:58 a.m. on November 14, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

The perfect gloves aren't golves at all, they're finger mits. Finger mitts are warmer than gloves and no less fumbly. North Face makes 'em (or made 'em). They're Gore-tex, have very burly fabric, double leather palms (must-have feature if you're going to rap), removeable fleece liners which you don't always need but expedite drying out, and padded knuckles (in case you decide to smack your partner for falling asleep at the belay).

You might also consider neoprene divers' or paddlers' finger mitts or gloves. They're warm and waterproof, and will set you back less than $30.

10:00 p.m. on December 10, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Chris

Quote:

The perfect gloves aren't golves at all, they're finger mits.

Mitts are definitely warmer than gloves but recently someone loaned my a pair of OR mutant mitts. This is is basically a "3 finger glove": The forefinger is separate but the other 3 fingers are in a mitt, and you can also move your foreginger into the mitt with the rest of the fingers for extra warmth.

Worked great! The dexterityh of a glove combined with the warmth of a mitt. The only problem is the price: $136. Anyone know of good warm 3 finger gloves for less?

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply