Mont Blanc Climbing

1:51 p.m. on November 15, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

What is the earliest the season starts on MB? Do trips go up in late March? If not, when is the earliest in the year? Thanks a lot.

11:40 a.m. on November 21, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

What is the earliest the season starts on MB? Do trips go up in late March? If not, when is the earliest in the year? Thanks a lot.

chris,

conditions vary tremendously from year to year.

i skied the grand mulets route to the summit in april and that year it had already been done for weeks in advance.

i have climbed lesser peaks in the mont blanc massif via much harder routes in every month of the winter, and have had both smooth days and gnarly epics.

please email me about any questions you might have.

be safe, jan

4:35 p.m. on November 24, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I asked a friend who is a guide in the area:

Anytime outside June 1st and September 30th are a no-no. There are no cable cars and huts working until June 20th or so, but it's possible the deep snow from the winter has settled down in the sunshine. After September 20th or so
it's starting to get very poor weather and lots of new snow. The guides (mostly) have finished from that date or so.

7:59 a.m. on November 25, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Most huts open around june 15. The Cosmiques opens mid february through mid october. Some huts are also opened in May for ski-touring.

Most cable cars are opened mid-december through october. Chamonix has an almost whole year season.

You can check info at www.ohm-chamonix.com (in french, but you can email them in english). Office de la haute montagne, they give good info on weather, conditions, cable cars huts etc.

2:31 p.m. on December 3, 2002 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Year 'round...

Quote:

Folks climb year 'round in Cham. Remember, there's a bit of skiin' there...

Brian in SLC

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply