MH Ethereal Ice Parka

10:53 p.m. on January 7, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Devon, Dominick, Mike, mporco

I recently purchased a new MH Ethereal Ice Parka on ebay for $240. I am debating whether to keep it or to re-sell it (I am sure I can get at least what I paid for it). Is this a quality jacket or should I look for something better?

4:50 p.m. on January 8, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Lost confidence in MH

Why this question, are you not confident with your purchase?

But to reply
I've got an Ethereal FTX parka wich is for the second time back to MH. The send it through to Gore to test it, on there wathercolum, but a wet sponge would in this case be enough to see that it leaks.
First time i send the jacket in it was immidiatly replaced with a new one. But the same story. Lifetime guarantee is nice but missing a expensive product twice for 6 weeks, is not wy i bought it.

I've had the same experience with a NorthFace Jacket so it isn't MH alone.

I've send in also the MH subzero jacket which to my experience contains not enough down in the sleeves. MH send it back with the remark that the jacket weigh up to the specs.
I my opinion this jacket is a zero degree jacket, but with the degrees in Celcius, and a long way from beeing a subzero jacket in fahrenheit.

I also got a Tech fleece from MH wich is very, very good so it could be more of a product related problem, than a mark problem.

Would i buy a gore-tex product from MH again: No
Would i buy a down product from MH again: not without very good checking every baffle, zipper, button etc

Quote:

I recently purchased a new MH Ethereal Ice Parka on ebay for $240. I am debating whether to keep it or to re-sell it (I am sure I can get at least what I paid for it). Is this a quality jacket or should I look for something better?

Luc

11:08 a.m. on January 9, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

": I've send in also the MH subzero jacket which to my experience contains not enough down in the sleeves. MH send it back with the remark that the jacket weigh up to the specs.

Quote:

I my opinion this jacket is a zero degree jacket, but with the degrees in Celcius, and a long way from beeing a subzero jacket in fahrenheit."

I am certainly not defending MH, but I think you might be asking a lot of the down jacket.
The subzero is the name, not a rating. To the best of my knowledge MH never put a rating on this jacket. This jacket is a classic down sweater, imo good for most 0f-32f endeavors. only the stormlight version of it is baffled. the non-stormlight is not baffled and is sewn through. I have used this jacket as a down sweater for about 6 years and, though it is heavy (L-28.6oz), i think it is an acceptable down jacket.

if you need something for below 0f you should check out the absolute zero or another baffled parka. it's really heavy, (L-51.9oz) but very very warm. i have both, and i use the subzero down sweater to probably -10f weather typically with a base layer & 2 fleece layers.

7:55 a.m. on January 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

": I've send in also the MH subzero jacket which to my experience contains not enough down in the sleeves. MH send it back with the remark that the jacket weigh up to the specs.

Quote:

I my opinion this jacket is a zero degree jacket, but with the degrees in Celcius, and a long way from beeing a subzero jacket in fahrenheit."

I am certainly not defending MH, but I think you might be asking a lot of the down jacket.
The subzero is the name, not a rating. To the best of my knowledge MH never put a rating on this jacket. This jacket is a classic down sweater, imo good for most 0f-32f endeavors. only the stormlight version of it is baffled. the non-stormlight is not baffled and is sewn through. I have used this jacket as a down sweater for about 6 years and, though it is heavy (L-28.6oz), i think it is an acceptable down jacket.

if you need something for below 0f you should check out the absolute zero or another baffled parka. it's really heavy, (L-51.9oz) but very very warm. i have both, and i use the subzero down sweater to probably -10f weather typically with a base layer & 2 fleece layers.

I know it's that the term is not a rating but in the 'baffles' on my arms is so little down in them that after MH dried and fluffied the whole jacket up, in ten minutes it sinks to my elbows, leaving nothing than the outershell and inner material on my arms.
Only outer and inner shell is not, in my opinion asking to much from a 'down'jacket from MH. Maybe from a honkiTonki brand but not from MH which you might expect are experts in designing, adapting, testing and producing products for users who pay a lot of money for qualityand usability. Putting more down in a place were you know it otherwise migrates to the bottom is exactly what you might expect from MH. Not a reply that the jacket weighs up to the specs, tumbledry the jacket wich was dry, and only worn 20 times, and send it back to me.
Weighing a jacket gives only a total of material of which the jacket is made and the down, not the place where the down actually is. Maybe i got a super filled back. My parka weighs 1020gramms which is, if i'm correct almost 36 oz.
This is certainly enough to make a jacket warm, only then when evenly distributed, or a bit more on problemplaces.
Yesterday i bought loose down to tackle this problem myself. luckely the sleeves are easely to open a bit for a downtube to put some extra down in.

gr Luc

3:40 p.m. on January 16, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Gaining a bit confidence in MH

I've just heard that MH will send me a new FTX Parka.

This will be the third jacket. They have sended it to Gore, and Gore will pay the bill this time.

It didn't matter to me. They give a lifetime guarantee and live up to it.

I'll just would let you know

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply