Warm Fleece

10:59 p.m. on January 7, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Calvin, Devon, Mike, mporco

I am looking for a very warm fleece that I can wear under a shell. I have heard that Polartec Thermal Pro works well. Any thougths on this or suggestions on brands?

4:34 p.m. on January 8, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

The 'Berber' fleece by Rab, Sheffield, Uk is excellent - much warmer than the heaviest Polartec - we used it on McKinley

Quote:

I am looking for a very warm fleece that I can wear under a shell. I have heard that Polartec Thermal Pro works well. Any thougths on this or suggestions on brands?

11:44 p.m. on January 8, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

more information?

Quote:

Well I could do a better job telling you about fleece if I knew what it was going to be used for. Town,city, craiging, alpinism, mountaineering, fall rock climbing, and the area you would be using it in.
There is no perfect fleece, or anything for that matter, that, "does it all." So intended use helps to get educated recomendations.
Please respond, TU

12:43 a.m. on January 9, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Calvin, Devon, Mike, mporco
Re: more information?

Well I could do a better job telling you about fleece if I knew what it was going to be used for. Town,city, craiging, alpinism, mountaineering, fall rock climbing, and the area you would be using it in.

Quote:

There is no perfect fleece, or anything for that matter, that, "does it all." So intended use helps to get educated recomendations.
Please respond, TU

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The primary reason that I am looking for a fleece is for mountaineering in Denali this summer. But since I live in upstate NY I will probably also make it a part of my winter wear.

10:58 p.m. on January 11, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Calling all with Denali experience

No need to appoligize, I sometimes fire off questions in haste.
But I can't help right now; ive gotta talk to some people as I have no experience. Hopefully the title of my reply lures some responces.
So how bout it folks can someone help Dom.?...(read on)

Fleece Needed, Intended Use: "The primary reason that I am looking for a fleece is for mountaineering in Denali this summer. But since I live in upstate NY I will probably also make it a part of my winter wear."

6:53 p.m. on January 13, 2003 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
For Denali? Inefficient...

Quote:

I've not used a heavy fleece jacket for a number of years for cold climbing (or skiing). I think for the weight and space, very inefficient.

If I'm cold, will wear expedition weight capilene as my thickest/warmest active layer. The farmer john style patagonia stretch activist one piece is one of my favorites. Still cold, will put on a garment with primaloft or down.

I do knock around town with a pile jacket, though...!

Layering methods outlined in Twights Extreme Alpinism are worth a look.

Brian in SLC

6:50 p.m. on January 14, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

How warm is "very warm fleece that I can wear under a shell"? I will assume that you are layering some sort of long john as your skin-level wicking layer. Like Brian, I use a one piece farmer john, which is basically expedition weight, in very cold conditions. On Denali last May/June, I used this from 14,000 up. Since that is sleeveless, I used an expedition weight top to add torso warmth and cover my arms. The outer layer was my Gtx bibs and jacket. I did add a fleece peruvian-style hat or heavy balaclava, gloves, socks, double plastic boots, and overboots. But I did not use any heavier fleece pants or fleece jacket when moving. I did use an expedition-weight down parka on cold days in camp at 17k and carried it on summit day, and I carried down pants up the hill as well, but never used them. The warmer gear is useful in camp, but not while moving. I often carry a primaloft belay jacket for rest stops, though I did not have it on Denali last year (had a fleece jacket that is about equivalent to Polartec 200 or Patagonia R2, but would have preferred to take my ID Dolomiti instead - lighter, warmer, compresses much better, breathes as well, more windproof). Based on experience, I would avoid windblock-type fabrics for jackets and pants. They are ok for gloves and headgear (except for blocking hearing unacceptably for most people).

6:31 p.m. on January 20, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Fleece

A good piece - which is both low in price and high in value - are British or Canadian "wooly pully" sweaters.
They are constructed with ribs so that they can stretch a little within a size, have patches on teh shoulders and forearms, are tailored so keep in maximum heat and are thus low bulk, and cheap!
they are also very warm, and don`t stink up too bad as they are made of wool (natural fiber)
just an idea

I picked one up for 20 US new

7:25 p.m. on February 8, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
MicroFleece

Quote:

I do not carry any fleece in cold weather anymore - I find it too restrictive and heavy (except sometimes 100 weight pants for skiing). My Marmot microfleece alpinist jacket is far more flexible, warmer and water resitant than fleece - much nicer to sleep in and a better bet for the claustrophobic type for the same weight.
Jim S

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply