opinions between Bibler Ahwahnee2 and Fitzroy

8:31 p.m. on January 21, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I'm interested if any of you have experiences with the Bibler Ahwahnee2 and Fitzroy tent. I'm looking at upgrading my North Face tent after a trip to Shasta, Elbert, and Whitney.

Between the two, what are your likes and dislikes?

Which would you rather have?

Any design flaws or serious problems with either that I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Matt

2:47 a.m. on January 22, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Fitzroy - equalizing guy system, lower profile I think
more space :)
i.e. if there's no vestibule option for the awhanee2 - don't think there was for the 1st, you may run tight
always nice to have extra space for gear inside

11:39 a.m. on January 23, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Johnny C

Quote:

Fitzroy - equalizing guy system, lower profile I think
more space :)
i.e. if there's no vestibule option for the awhanee2 - don't think there was for the 1st, you may run tight
always nice to have extra space for gear inside

I have a Awhanee that I have had for quite awhile. I have used from winter ski mountaineering to summer backpacks. It vents really well and holds snow loads pretty good also. You can get a add on vestible as an option I have the older style. It works for me. You can cook in the vesti and store your gear in it. I have no experience with the Fitzroy. My friend has a double doored Integral Designs Mk II ? That is a pretty nice single walled tent. He uses it for winter mountaineering as well in the summer.

2:06 p.m. on January 27, 2003 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Fitz for full on conditions...

Quote:

I'm interested if any of you have experiences with the Bibler Ahwahnee2 and Fitzroy tent. I'm looking at upgrading my North Face tent after a trip to Shasta, Elbert, and Whitney.

Between the two, what are your likes and dislikes?

Fitzroy has to be the strongest single wall tent out there. I like its geometry as in, it really fits 2 folks and gear well with its asymmetrical front and back and efficient floor space.

One thing I don't like about the Fitzroy is that with four poles, and mid point nesting for two, its a bit of a pain to put up in the wind, when your tired. But, once up, takes snow and wind real well.

I don't like side opening tents. For spending a bunch of time inside, havin' someone crawl over the top of you to get in and out, or to cook, might be a bummer. And, only one door? So, with a vestible, cookin' and coming and going might be a bit more interesting.

That said, the Awawahnee is very roomy and has a spacious feel due to the door unzipping to the ground. Nice for nice weather. But, just doens't strike me as a true 4 season tent but is billed as such.

Dim's are 90L by 52W by 45H for the Awawanee and 93L by 60W by 40H for the Fitzroy.

Quote:

Which would you rather have?

Fitzroy. Only a bit heavier than the Awanny. Much rather be stuck in a storm in the Fitzroy. Makes it an easy decision for me.

Quote:

Seam sealing is a pain on both, but is on all tents I'd highly recommend a thicker material than seam grip, like freesole. Adds margin for all stitched seams so well worth the piece of mind.

One piece floor is nice (mine is older and two piece).

Brian in SLC

12:29 a.m. on January 28, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Fitz for full on conditions...

Quote:

Quote:

Seam sealing is a pain on both, but is on all tents I'd highly recommend a thicker material than seam grip, like freesole. Adds margin for all stitched seams so well worth the piece of mind.

-Is the Fitzroy not seam sealed from the factory?

Quote:

-Is a new Fitzroy a two piece or one piece floor?

9:04 a.m. on January 28, 2003 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Yep..

Quote:

Quote:

-Is the Fitzroy not seam sealed from the factory?

Is tape sealed. I always lock down the stitching with freesole. As well as any high wear spots.

Quote:

Quote:

-Is a new Fitzroy a two piece or one piece floor?

I think is one piece, no seam, nice.

Brian in SLC

7:42 p.m. on February 8, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Quote:

I'm interested if any of you have experiences with the Bibler Ahwahnee2 and Fitzroy tent

My experience is with a Bibler Eldorado which is a slightly smaller version of the Ahwahnee with a different door(same pole design and shape). The Eldorado is not a really nice place to be in a full on storm because the the large side panels (like an ahwahnee's)try to beat you as the tent "flaps". I think the heavier Fitzroy with a more bomber pole design/shape would vibrate much less - it might even be stable enough to hang a stove from the center of the poles, but not in the Eldorado in a wind...
Jim S

2:08 p.m. on February 11, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

any reason you're not looking at the torre/tempest?

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply