Wasatch condition

8:24 p.m. on April 23, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi,

Can anyone provide me some update about the current snow condition in the Wasatch mountain range? Is there still sufficient snow for spring AT skiing? Thanks.

Loco

9:01 a.m. on April 24, 2003 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Yepper...

Quote:

Can anyone provide me some update about the current snow condition in the Wasatch mountain range? Is there still sufficient snow for spring AT skiing? Thanks.

Alta's last weekend is this weekend. Snowbird is still open.

AT skiing? Probably not enough snow for that. Plenty for tele though... (har har).

Location dependant. South faces below about 8000 feet have very poor to no cover. Once you get up to the end of LCC though, seems plenty for a spell. We skied Day's Fork and Toledo Bowl last saturday. Heavy cream to mash 'taters, but fun on fat skis.

I'm sure north facing, up high, will be ok through May...

Will try to get out tonight, give you a better read by tomorrow...

Where you at?

Brian in SLC

8:02 p.m. on April 24, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Yepper...

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info. I am living on the East coast and will be in SLC for a business trip. I'm debating whether I should bring my skis or not.

Oh. By the way, I don't ski tele. I ski AT. Sorry. I love that heel secured feeling : )

Loco

Quote:

Quote:

Alta's last weekend is this weekend. Snowbird is still open.

AT skiing? Probably not enough snow for that. Plenty for tele though... (har har).

Location dependant. South faces below about 8000 feet have very poor to no cover. Once you get up to the end of LCC though, seems plenty for a spell. We skied Day's Fork and Toledo Bowl last saturday. Heavy cream to mash 'taters, but fun on fat skis.

I'm sure north facing, up high, will be ok through May...

Will try to get out tonight, give you a better read by tomorrow...

Where you at?

Brian in SLC

9:15 a.m. on April 25, 2003 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Do it...

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I am living on the East coast and will be in SLC for a business trip. I'm debating whether I should bring my skis or not.

Oh. By the way, I don't ski tele. I ski AT. Sorry. I love that heel secured feeling : )

Just funnin' with ya. I use tele gear, but parallel. Go figure.

Skied last night after work. Plenty of snow up high. Alta's last weekend is this weekend, I noted fine groomers ready for the herds tomorrow...very tempted to boot up there and get me some tonight...fresh silky corduroy...poor man's corn snow!

Some wet slide activity on the south faces, but mostly in steeper areas and not running very far (couple good sized one's on the south face of Superior). Bad to get entrained in such, though, so something to watch for. South faces are starting to consolidate, but, still have a fair amount of mush layer from the last storm. I'd say in a few more days, should be much more firm. North aspects are a mixed bag, and there seems to be a bit of a crust and damp snow even up high in the shade.

If you like to ski or climb, both are in full swing. Very crowded climbing but if you like the bouldering scene, the mattress folk is everywhere. Skiin' has died off in popularity, but there's plenty of snow up high. Select trailheads especially in Little Cottonwood, are probably the best bet.

I left home last night at 6pm. Skinned up at 6:30, skins off at 7:30, back home by 8:10p. Plenty worth it.

Give a shout if you need any beta.

Brian in SLC

1:08 p.m. on April 26, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Do it...

Excellent! I am leaving tomorrow and I will sure bring my AT stuffs along with my briefcase and laptop : )

And I just find out that the location were I will spend the next week working is half way in between downtown SLC and Snowbird on LCC Rd. Sounds like a great location to me.

Thanks Brian for such great info.

Quote:

Quote:

Just funnin' with ya. I use tele gear, but parallel. Go figure.

Skied last night after work. Plenty of snow up high. Alta's last weekend is this weekend, I noted fine groomers ready for the herds tomorrow...very tempted to boot up there and get me some tonight...fresh silky corduroy...poor man's corn snow!

Some wet slide activity on the south faces, but mostly in steeper areas and not running very far (couple good sized one's on the south face of Superior). Bad to get entrained in such, though, so something to watch for. South faces are starting to consolidate, but, still have a fair amount of mush layer from the last storm. I'd say in a few more days, should be much more firm. North aspects are a mixed bag, and there seems to be a bit of a crust and damp snow even up high in the shade.

If you like to ski or climb, both are in full swing. Very crowded climbing but if you like the bouldering scene, the mattress folk is everywhere. Skiin' has died off in popularity, but there's plenty of snow up high. Select trailheads especially in Little Cottonwood, are probably the best bet.

I left home last night at 6pm. Skinned up at 6:30, skins off at 7:30, back home by 8:10p. Plenty worth it.

Give a shout if you need any beta.

Brian in SLC

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply