About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Down or Primaloft for Denali

2:08 p.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I am headed up Denali next summer. I have used a Primaloft insulated parka with hood for summits of Rainer and Shasta because of the dampness. What would you ladies and gentlemen with Denali experience recomend for "The High One"

6:21 p.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
down for me

Quote:

I am headed up Denali next summer. I have used a Primaloft insulated parka with hood for summits of Rainer and Shasta because of the dampness. What would you ladies and gentlemen with Denali experience recomend for "The High One"

I used down. Would again. Lighter for the warmth, more compressable.

Unless you go much later than normal, you shouldn't really see any rain/sleet. I think down makes more sense but if you have a good, warm primaloft coat I'd hesitate to upgrade just for Denali. What you have might work. Of course, if your lookin' for an excuse to upgrade, then by all means...har har...

Not uncommon to get soakin' wet shoveling in a snowstorm (especially at the lower camps in mid June)...but...you wouldn't be sportin' a down jacket then anyhoo.

Also depends on how warm you normally are when its cold out, and how you generate heat whilst at rest and at play. Some folks just don't need as much insulation.

Brian in SLC

6:49 p.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,180 forum posts
Down for Denali

I've been in the Alaska Range a number of times (summited Denali almost exactly a year ago). Down is the only way to go for Denali - weight, compressability, warmth. Both for sleeping bag and clothing (outermost parka and pants). Depending on your timing, you might take fleece pants instead of down, although I found the down pants much preferable because, again, of weight and compressability. You are going to be carrying a lot of weight and the bulk of everything you have to have will make it hard to get everything in the pack (even using a sled up to 14k). Down makes it possible, where the modern synths still don't cut it.

8:16 p.m. on September 2, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I would do the down. It is cold. But very dry. Down packs smaller and is warmer. I used TNF down parka and bag. Worked great. Enjoy the views next summer!!!

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply