Koflach Degree or Scarpa Cerro Torre Thermo boot?

12:34 a.m. on June 15, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I seem to have caught the mountaineering bug and after a few climbs, I'm interesting in taking it further. I'm specifically looking to add a lower 48 mountaineering boot to the arsenal for summiting peaks like Mt. Shasta, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Whitney, Mt. Elbert and a few other 14'ers. I've been looking at the Koflach Degree and the Scarpa Cerro Torre Thermo and both fit me well. Basically, it has come down to the plastic versus leather debate. Have the insulated leathers become something to consider or should I stick with the plastics?

What are your recommendations? Any experience with either of these boots?

Thanks in advance!

6:02 p.m. on June 18, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I seem to have caught the mountaineering bug and after a few climbs, I'm interesting in taking it further. I'm specifically looking to add a lower 48 mountaineering boot to the arsenal for summiting peaks like Mt. Shasta, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Whitney, Mt. Elbert and a few other 14'ers. I've been looking at the Koflach Degree and the Scarpa Cerro Torre Thermo and both fit me well. Basically, it has come down to the plastic versus leather debate. Have the insulated leathers become something to consider or should I stick with the plastics?

Thanks in advance!

I'd go with leather for lower 48 14'ers. Plenty warm enough and alot more comfortable. A few of the climbs you mentioned can be done in the summer months with only sneakers. Remember what they say, one pound of the foot is equal to five off the back.

4:38 p.m. on August 26, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have used the Degree extensively for both varied Alpine use (glaciers, postholing, scrambling) and waterfall ice (up to WI-5) during Winter and Spring in the Canadian Rockies and found them excellent for the former and only moderately acceptable for the latter (the use that is, not the season). They are very warm and don't at all feel like placcy boots until you need to French Technique in them...then you wish you had leathers! Waterfall ice is better suited to a lighter boot that you can finesse a bit more. For general mountaineering they are great and I highly recommend them.

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

November 20, 2014
Quick Reply