About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Osprey Ceres 70? Gregory Makalu?

11:17 a.m. on July 17, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Timo

I am looking for a 42-4300ci. single sack pack for light backpacking/ light mountaineering. Anyone have any experience with either pack? The Osprey Ceres 70 looks pretty interesting for about a $100 less(and 8 oz. less) than the Gregory. The Gregory has some plastic stuff attaching the harness that I am a little suspect about.I can not find the Ceres in my area to check one out. My buddy has a McHale Super Sarc that I really like, but I am not willing(or shoiuld I say my wife isn't agreeing to let me) spend that amount of $$$.

11:05 a.m. on July 18, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I had the Makalu. It's a good choice for the purpose your described. Pros: It weighs just under 5 lbs and will carry up to 50 lbs comfortably. You can interchange hipbelts / shoulder strap sizes for a custom fit. 7075 aluminum stays are light and strong. The buckles are big enough for use with gloves on. Con: Expensive. Frame cannot be removed. Mesh side pockets are handy, but they can get torn easily by bushes or rock. I sold mine because I rarely needed a pack this big. I haven't used the Osprey pack you mentioned. Have you checked out the Serratus packs at www.mec.ca? They are similar to above, but cost about half the price.

10:41 a.m. on August 1, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Timo

Quote:

I had the Makalu. It's a good choice for the purpose your described. Pros: It weighs just under 5 lbs and will carry up to 50 lbs comfortably. You can interchange hipbelts / shoulder strap sizes for a custom fit. 7075 aluminum stays are light and strong. The buckles are big enough for use with gloves on. Con: Expensive. Frame cannot be removed. Mesh side pockets are handy, but they can get torn easily by bushes or rock. I sold mine because I rarely needed a pack this big. I haven't used the Osprey pack you mentioned. Have you checked out the Serratus packs at www.mec.ca? They are similar to above, but cost about half the price.

To let anyone know who is interested. I bought a Makalu. I got it for $240($100 off):

http://www.mickiesplace.com/clearancebarrel.htm

The main reason was fit and the option to change hip belts and harnesses(On the Osprey you can only change the shoulder harness). My odd body needed a different hip belt and harness. Mickies did not have them in stock. I called Gregory customer service. They said no problem go to any store that has them and trade it. I found out that I live about 45 minutes from Gregory. I went over exchange them, no problem.

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply