About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Soft Shell Pant for Mountaineering

5:57 p.m. on February 5, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Does anyone recommend a soft shell pant good for 3 season mountaineering in the lower 48 or summer mountaineering in Alaska? I am looking at Ibex Guide Lite and Cloudveil Symmetry. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6:00 a.m. on February 8, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Nearly any pant made with Schoeller Dryskin works very well. Since the material is all the same, what will vary between manufacturers is the level of detail, quality of workmanship and of course the brand name. LL Bean used to make a very reasonable pair, but I believe they dropped it this year. I would imagine REI does, though. Nothing wrong with the brand names, like Cloudveil of course, but they're pricey.

Quote:

Does anyone recommend a soft shell pant good for 3 season mountaineering in the lower 48 or summer mountaineering in Alaska? I am looking at Ibex Guide Lite and Cloudveil Symmetry. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1:25 p.m. on February 9, 2004 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

I like my Cloudveil. Using it a lot this season for BC skiing, too. The Schoeller stuff, like Kevin says, seems to hold up well to abrasion, and is passably wind and water resistant. It doesn't insulate all that well, but you will have a layer underneath in cold weather anyway.

2:44 p.m. on February 9, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Mammut makes some really nice scholler pants, but if you want to save some money, take a look at the REI Mistral. I've used a pair for two seasons of ice climbing and only put one crampon hole in them (I've tried more times than that, but the fabric stretches to help avoid this). They will fit tight around your boots too, so gaiters can be left behind in some conditions.

JM

7:55 p.m. on February 9, 2004 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

Well, the REI Mistral is Schoeller Dynamic, which as I understand it is the lightest of the Schoeller fabrics, with Dryskin being a step up in weight and protection. Not absolutely sure that my understanding is correct, and a visit to the Schoeller web site didn't help answer the question - too much add copy, not enough real info. But anyway, that's what I've heard.

If clothing made with the Dynamic fabric is under consideration, I love my Black Diamond BDVs. Comfortable, somewhat wind and water resistant and very tough. Perfect for cool weather rock, long routes, etc. I'm not a mountaineer, however, so I can't say whether they'd meet your needs in a snow/ice environment.

I think MEC also makes some cheap, high quality soft shell gear. Based on hearsay, you might want to check out their Ferrata tights and related products.

7:43 p.m. on February 25, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. mtnclimber

I think you guys have is all wrong-
Schoeller dryskin extreme is too heavy for "3 season mountaineering in the lower 48 or summer mountaineering in Alaska"....
I use my REI mistrals for everything from summer climbing at 14,000 in the sierras to 20 degree ice climbing. Whip out the dryskin when it gets COLD- or you will sweat.

Quote:

5:16 p.m. on April 15, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

One detail that's easy to overlook in the store, but that I would never, ever do without:
A FLY!
I cannot figure out why people continue to make climbing pants without one. I've ended up spending $$$ on higher end mammut and arcteryx pants when cheaper ones I find are flyless.
what are we supposed to do when we have a harness on over flyless pants? untie from the rope ten times a day?

Quote:

Nearly any pant made with Schoeller Dryskin works very well. Since the material is all the same, what will vary between manufacturers is the level of detail, quality of workmanship and of course the brand name. LL Bean used to make a very reasonable pair, but I believe they dropped it this year. I would imagine REI does, though. Nothing wrong with the brand names, like Cloudveil of course, but they're pricey.

Quote:

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply