Patagonia Microburst Jacket?

8:47 p.m. on March 6, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Looking into possibly getting a new jacket. I found the Microburst and liked it. It is cut a liitle shorter and the material is very light. Does anyone out there have any experience with this jacket especially pertaining to its durabilty and function? I plan on using it for everything from skiing to backpacking to some light mountaineering. Is it a good choice?
Thanks in advance,
Wonderer

1:40 a.m. on March 11, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Looking into possibly getting a new jacket. I found the Microburst and liked it. It is cut a liitle shorter and the material is very light. Does anyone out there have any experience with this jacket especially pertaining to its durabilty and function? I plan on using it for everything from skiing to backpacking to some light mountaineering. Is it a good choice?
Thanks in advance,
Wonderer

zipper gets hung-up about mid pectoral. If you keep your finger behind it, between the draft flap and the zipper, you can learn to work it. This kinda sucks and patagonia is workng to fix it, don't know if they have. Its not a hard trick to learn with ungloved hands(just bothersome), I don't know what its like with the gloves.

11:34 a.m. on March 18, 2004 (EST)
39 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I have a Microburst and really like it; I used in on an expedition to the East Ridge of Mt. Logan this past May. It's the right combination of light weight and protection, particularly if you're not going to be scraping your way up chimneys. Although the fabric is not paper thin either. Very breathable. I hear what the other guy said about the zipper; it is a bit stiff. The pit zip/pocket arrangement is clever. My only critique is that there is some excess fabric in the cuff area, depending on what you're wearing underneath. They've upgraded the jacket this season to now be the Stretch microburst, and I'm sure it's the ticket for a hard shell that's the right blend - waterproof, but not overkill which some 3 layer, reinforced shoulder/elbow, etc. jackets clearly are.

5:37 p.m. on March 28, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I couldn't agree more about the zipper. Overall, the jacket is great - light, compact, etc. but the zipper sucks. When I first got mine, i thought it was a defect so I called Patagonia and had them send me another one and it didn't fix the problem. I would not recommend the jacket because in the end, I do spend a lot of time zipping and unzipping it and it gets stuck midway all the time. Apaprently, I haven't mastered the art of ziping it based on one of the other comments but it shouldn't be that hard. I had a Sierra Designs before this and I like it MUCH better. Hope this helps.

6:28 p.m. on November 25, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Yes, I had the same problem with mine after just a few months of light use. The zipper is completely broken now and I'm soaking wet!!! The flexible zipper definitely doesn't seem to work. Defect indeed. I've had many other jackets before and never had this problem.

December 27, 2014
Quick Reply