About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Down jacket repair

9:05 p.m. on November 14, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I got 2 1" rips in the nylon on the inside of my down jacket. I was going to sew it up but then thought, everyone in this forum has so many good ideas that I better check out my options before I mess up my jacket.

Thanks for the help!

12:03 p.m. on November 15, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Jason Phelps

I melted my down jacket sleeve on my whisperlight, I just pinched the sides together and hit it with some seam grip. Worked great!

Quote:

I got 2 1" rips in the nylon on the inside of my down jacket. I was going to sew it up but then thought, everyone in this forum has so many good ideas that I better check out my options before I mess up my jacket.

Thanks for the help!

1:24 p.m. on November 15, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

try the goretex repair kit

goretex makes stick on repair patches.

theirs seem to have the best adhesive - i've washed my gtx pants and the patches don't come off.

other companies make similar repair tape, but my experience is the the gtx patches stay on the best. others eventually come off.

al

10:21 p.m. on November 15, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Chris Reid, Cnris

Quote:

Thanks for the help!

Yeah I wouldn't sew it. I melted a one inch circular sleve in my jacket once (bruched against a lantern). I used a ripstop nylon patch and seam grip to reapair the hole. I would cut the nylon so that you could push it in the hole having the adhesive side facing out and then use another piece of patch to cover the now outfacing sticky side and seam grip the outer edge. By doing this the down can't clump to the patch on the inside. Hope this helps worked for me.

9:34 a.m. on November 16, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

That's what I used- works great

The Goretex patches may be better, but I've never used those. I used part of my stuff sack with seam grip-
Still there after many years of abuse...

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply