About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

AT ski setup

1:11 a.m. on November 4, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I am thinking about buying an AT setup for this winter. Have always skied alpine gear. I understand that The Fritschi Damir is the standard trusted binding. What about boots? Should I go light and soft or heavier and stiffer? How is skinning in the Scarpa Denalis? Akward?

cheers
TOner

11:42 p.m. on November 4, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I am thinking about buying an AT setup for this winter. Have always skied alpine gear. I understand that The Fritschi Damir is the standard trusted binding. What about boots? Should I go light and soft or heavier and stiffer? How is skinning in the Scarpa Denalis? Akward?

cheers
TOner

Toner,

I use Fitschi's and Denali's. Skinning is no problem. I use thermoflex liners so that drops a pound from each boot. I would recommend you take a look at the Lasers, as well as the Denali's. I would have prefered the Lasers but the denali's just seemed to fit better.
E-mail me if you have any further questions regarding the Fritschi Denali set up.
Good luck and be safe skiing the backcountry

10:13 a.m. on November 5, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

good advice

Quote:

Quote:

cheers
TOner

Toner,

I use Fitschi's and Denali's. Skinning is no problem. I use thermoflex liners so that drops a pound from each boot. I would recommend you take a look at the Lasers, as well as the Denali's. I would have prefered the Lasers but the denali's just seemed to fit better.
E-mail me if you have any further questions regarding the Fritschi Denali set up.
Good luck and be safe skiing the backcountry

was gonna recommend getting some thermoflex liners as replacements (ideal, not a must do) for the scarpas. as mentioned, this will lighten the weight. i have a pair of denalis and you should be happy with them. they're about as close to an alpine boot as you'll find in a.t. they are a bit bulky and heavy. i have a pair of tambos (new model is the titan) which is essentially the denali with one less toe buckle. might give them a look.

a couple others out there. many swear by dynafit. they come stock with the thermoflex liner.

fritschis are wunderbar. i'm sure you know that they will work with only a.t. boots, yes? if you need a binding that will work with a variety of boots (mtnring, etc.) your only real choice is silvretta 500 (or old 300, 400) series. i run 500s on my approach setup and they're fine. but i prefer the fritschis.

best,
mkg

10:46 a.m. on November 5, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I am also shopping for an AT setup. I have read some gear reviews that indicate the newer Fritschi Diamirs have a lot of plastic parts, and are prone to breakage (not a good thing in the backcountry). Is the 2001 model improved? Anyone have any comments about the durability of the Diamir's?

Thanks,

Ray

12:21 p.m. on November 5, 2001 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Seen it done...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think it depends on what type of performance you want. Is a tradeoff between heavy and uncomfortable versus light and comfy.

I find skinnin' with an AT set up mucho more uncomfy than tele...and since I spend much more time goin' up hill...guess what I use?

Quote:

was gonna recommend getting some thermoflex liners as replacements (ideal, not a must do) for the scarpas. as mentioned, this will lighten the weight. i have a pair of denalis and you should be happy with them. they're about as close to an alpine boot as you'll find in a.t. they are a bit bulky and heavy. i have a pair of tambos (new model is the titan) which is essentially the denali with one less toe buckle. might give them a look.

Tambos I tried, er, sucked. No forward lean. Might as well been in a Kolfach mountaineering boot...(Zippo's old boots, btw...and now I see why he got rid of them...)...

Yeah yeah on the thermofit. BD is now doin' it too...on all boots...nice!

Quote:

fritschis are wunderbar. i'm sure you know that they will work with only a.t. boots, yes? if you need a binding that will work with a variety of boots (mtnring, etc.) your only real choice is silvretta 500 (or old 300, 400) series. i run 500s on my approach setup and they're fine. but i prefer the fritschis.

Actually seen it work with mountaineering boots but pretty sensitive to havin' the tension just right. Will work though. Heel won't "pop" into position but will clamp down with enough tension to hold the boot in place. Interesting...and...until I'd seen it demonstrated with mine own eyes, would have never thought it'd work...

Brian in SLC

4:28 p.m. on November 5, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

hmmm...

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think it depends on what type of performance you want. Is a tradeoff between heavy and uncomfortable versus light and comfy.

true.

Quote:

I find skinnin' with an AT set up mucho more uncomfy than tele...and since I spend much more time goin' up hill...guess what I use?

now it starts...

hey... wait. that was civil. what gives??

Quote:

Quote:

Tambos I tried, er, sucked. No forward lean. Might as well been in a Kolfach mountaineering boot...(Zippo's old boots, btw...and now I see why he got rid of them...)...

hmmmmm. wonder if these might have been the old, old two-buckle tambos (yellow and black)? i know zip tried to talk me out of them. the ones i have i like. they're just exactly like the new titans, different color, but three buckles. lean forward, yep. the boot is exactly the same as the denali. if you look at the mold you'll see it's the same boot except the fourth buckle is awol.

Quote:

splain? bd is doin' it how?

Quote:

Quote:

Actually seen it work with mountaineering boots but pretty sensitive to havin' the tension just right. Will work though. Heel won't "pop" into position but will clamp down with enough tension to hold the boot in place. Interesting...and...until I'd seen it demonstrated with mine own eyes, would have never thought it'd work...

have heard same... prolly... prolly wouldn't... hmmm... dunno. for touring i guess...

best,
mkg

4:40 p.m. on November 5, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

clearyficashun

Quote:

Quote:

Tambos

they're just exactly like the new titans, different color, but three buckles. lean forward, yep. the boot is exactly the same as the denali.

to be more precise, the 3-buckle tambo/titan is the same essential mold. differences are that the tambo/titan is a little less stiff than the denali, the buckles are plastic, and there is a removeable plastic spoiler on the tambo/titan, as opposed to a fixed plastic one on the denali (which, agian, has 4 buckles). the titans are also $100 cheaper.

Quote:

if you look at the mold you'll see it's the same boot except the fourth buckle is awol.

here, look em up, easier to grok:
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/backcountry/boots_titan.html

best,
mkg

6:28 a.m. on November 6, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Brent, Reinhold Mess-Kit

Take a spin thru Lou Dawson's website. Lots o' info on AT and tele gear, mods, etc.

http://www.wildsnow.com/news/news_menu.html

Quote:

cheers
TOner

8:29 p.m. on November 6, 2001 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
In their shop...

Quote:

hey... wait. that was civil. what gives??

Whats so funny 'bout peace luv and understanding...whoa whooo...

Quote:

hmmmmm. wonder if these might have been the old, old two-buckle tambos (yellow and black)? i know zip tried to talk me out of them. the ones i have i like. they're just exactly like the new titans, different color, but three buckles. lean forward, yep. the boot is exactly the same as the denali. if you look at the mold you'll see it's the same boot except the fourth buckle is awol.

Yepper...

Quote:

Quote:

splain? bd is doin' it how?

They gots one of them machiney thingees at the retail shop...I think they usin' the Raichle stuff...

Brian in SLC

5:33 p.m. on November 19, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

cheers
TOner

Fritschi have a better release, but they can be broken easily. I broke mine once by falling down with the heels unlocked (little downhill over rolling terrain). The twisting motion on the front support cracked it completely in half. Had to ski down on one ski. Not pretty. If you get Frischi's, be careful of busting your as with the heel unlocked.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply