OH NO! THEY'RE BAAACCCKKK!

12:32 p.m. on November 2, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

The sorry excuse for a climbing team that Everest: Beyond the Limit actually went back to Everest and has a new series. The trailers already are talking about the first episode showing them encountering their first death of the climb on the mountain. Some of the same guys (including the former Hells Angel who has the metal plate in his skull and however many screws and bolts in his legs and arms).

I guess the viewing public just can't get enough of the blood and guts, death at any moment, "extreme risk" stuff.

8:45 p.m. on November 2, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I believe it was H.L. Mencken who said "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

10:48 a.m. on November 3, 2007 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,176 forum posts

I just saw the whole series last week and was struck by the human logjam near the summit. Looked like a typical weekend in Gatlinburg. As the climbing team moaned and groaned, all I could think about was Reinhold Messner soloing without oxygen and I just had to laugh.

10:12 a.m. on November 5, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

"Some of the same guys (including the former Hells Angel who has the metal plate in his skull and however many screws and bolts in his legs and arms)."

The truth is stranger than fiction.

I agree with Tipi Walter - all the craziness makes Messner's feat that much more amazing.

10:48 a.m. on November 5, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I love this series. Just wish it was on earlier than 10:00 PM

7:54 p.m. on November 6, 2007 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I couldn't help myself. I tried to resist. I was weak. I watched the show.

If you have not watched "The Rest of Everest" your missing out on the best Everest show that tells the whole story.

http://www.therestofeverest.com/

check it out it's worth your time! you can also get it off of I tunes

5:36 p.m. on November 7, 2007 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

I watched last night's episode, 2nd in the new series, I think. Aside from the repeated "EXTREME!!", "RISKY!", "DEATH!" and such comments, they showed the clients doing lots of things that any experienced outdoors person knows not to do, never making any comments about why those things lead to serious problems. For example, they showed the woman from California (supposedly fitness expert) repeatedly eating snow, and from right along the path everyone was following at that. First thing is eating snow is a fast way to lower your body temperature. Second is that it does not provide a significant amount of thirst quenching because (a) low water content of snow, especially at altitude and (b) chilling yourself internally slows the water absorption. Then, how uncontaminated do you suppose the snow where people have been placing their boots or making a quick "relief stop" is going to be? There's lots more like that.

The former Hell's Angel is as defiant as he was in the last series. The Dane is back for another oxygen-less attempt. And on and on.

6:24 p.m. on November 7, 2007 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

I am not a climber. When I read a Trip Report about someone winter climbing up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire I am impressed and a bit jealous. I watched this show last year and some this year, and it remains to this "civilian" a frigging freak show.

9:46 p.m. on November 7, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

...and did you see the part where she didn't know how to put the crampons on? Never been on the ice before so why not make Everest the 1st time? I'd think that learning to walk in them at the altitudes on Everest would pretty much guarantee never figuring out the technique.

10:02 a.m. on November 8, 2007 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,176 forum posts

One thing you have to say for it is it has some great camera work. Too bad the same cinema crew can't spend a season with Ed Viesturs. On the other hand, I'm sure to get the series on DVD again and anticipate each hour. Epic winter struggles endured by other people always makes my winter trips seem better. And easier.

12:14 p.m. on November 20, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
77 forum posts

Come on....its a reality T.V. show. It is for entertainment purposes not a "how to" or a training film. Nit pick all ya want, but you guys are watching it, arent ya? The adverstisment of RISK, DEATH and EXTREME must be working....

7:02 a.m. on November 21, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Oh it is. I put the "beyond the limit" dvd on my christmas wish list.

5 hours of entertainment on thre disks!

e

10:26 a.m. on November 21, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
77 forum posts

hehe....I have a viking drysuit on my Chirstmas list. I enjoy watching Quest for sunken war ships. It is more realistic.....385 feet dive with a 5 hour deco time and most of the divers are OLD......

12:45 p.m. on November 21, 2007 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

FMD said

Quote:

Come on....its a reality T.V. show.

Not for people who do real climbing. It's a comedy, while at the same time a tragedy and travesty. I don't mean just "tragedy" in the sense of the people who die and suffer serious injury (temporary and, in the case of losing fingers, toes, and limbs), but a tragedy in the sense of the ghoulish obsession of watching people suffer (like the people who focus on grisly car accidents or go to "sporting" events to thrill at death and serious injuries.

Quote:

...you guys are watching it, arent ya

Actually, no. I saw the trailer, looked at parts of 2 of the episodes, and realized it was the same trash "reality" as the last version (which I only watched part of, suckered in by the publicist's promises posted here on Trailspace that it would improve as the episodes continued). When I realized part way through the 3rd or 4th one I didn't bother with the rest.

What a travesty to see this faux "reality" portrayed as a "true" representation of what climbing is all about. At least, with other distorted portrayals of climbing like "Cliffhanger" and "Vertical Limit" which are open in their acknowledgment that they are pure fiction, we can enjoy the comedy, knowing that no real people actually died or suffered permanent injury (yes, we all know that in MI2, Tom Cruise dislocated his shoulder, but then, who cares about a movie "hero").

7:40 a.m. on November 23, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
77 forum posts

Bill Wrote:

Not for people who do real climbing. It's a comedy, while at the same time a tragedy and travesty. I don't mean just "tragedy" in the sense of the people who die and suffer serious injury (temporary and, in the case of losing fingers, toes, and limbs), but a tragedy in the sense of the ghoulish obsession of watching people suffer (like the people who focus on grisly car accidents or go to "sporting" events to thrill at death and serious injuries.

Come on Bill, lets face it. Death, sex and adventures sells. Not just on T.V. but even our clothing, food, toys etc. It is hard to even watch a "family show" at 8 PM (prime time TV) without hearing or seeing sexual overtones and innueendos.

I am sure that the shows producers are real sorry to offend the "real climbers" chivarlry.

3:30 p.m. on November 23, 2007 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

FMD, I don't watch "prime time TV", whatever that is, so I don't know what you are talking about. The only thing I watch on the commercial channels is the local evening news (and not often then). I do occasionally watch PBS, History, Discovery, NASA, NatGeo, VS (when they have bike races on), and a few others.

Unfortunately, History and Discovery (owned by the same company, I understand) have taken to showing fiction (like the Everest thing) as if it were factual. Same with some formerly reasonable magazines. The result is that the general public believes this junk is true, with the Discovery Everest program as a prime example. Yeah, yeah, so there was a real climb on Everest by the Hells Angel and the woman who had never climbed anything before. But the hype and emphasis on "extreme" and gross distortions that come through the selective editing, and all that means that the public does not realize that what is being portrayed is all the wrong reasons to go climbing, and that done right, climbing even on Everest is safer than driving on the freeways.

5:34 p.m. on November 23, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
77 forum posts

Its still T.V..

Bob Villa... Monster Garage....Ice truckers are all TV shows for entertainment. Do you really think by watching the Bob Villa DYI or Monster Garage that a lay person can build a house or a car?

BTW
From Wikipedia

What prime time is:
The generally accepted times considered to be traditional prime time are 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Eastern and Pacific and 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Central and Mountain Monday–Saturday.

On Sundays, prime time begins an hour earlier, at 7:00 p.m. Eastern and Pacific and 6:00 p.m. Central and Mountain, ending at the same time as on the other six days of the week. Note that for cable networks, such as USA, TBS, and ABC Family, prime time is 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. all seven days of the week.
With the addition of newer networks such as FOX, The CW, and MyNetworkTV, they're now considered a common prime separate from traditional prime. Common prime is 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern and Pacific and 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Central and Mountain Monday–Saturday, beginning an hour earlier on Sundays as with traditional prime.
Before the FCC regulated time slots prior to prime time with the now-defunct Prime Time Access Rule in the early 1970s, networks began programming at 7:30 on weeknights. For a historical look at prime time, see History of TV Prime Time

12:38 p.m. on November 24, 2007 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

I apologize to all for having opened this can of worms. Sorry, but I pick and choose the very tiny amount of time wasted with the tube (or flat screen). My time in the outdoors is far more valuable, and far more entertaining.

--- close of topic ---

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply