New Snow on the San Francisco Peaks above Flagstaff AZ

9:23 a.m. on May 31, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

It rained here yesterday and left new snow on the peaks which are over 12,000 feet high. The highest point in Arizona. Picture from this morning May 31 at 6 am.

11:44 p.m. on June 2, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Gary,

Have you been up Humphreys during your time in Flagstaff? I'd like to get up that way (from Phoenix) sometime in the next couple weeks if it is summitable w/o axe. thanks, Steve

2:12 a.m. on June 3, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

I haven't been up there this year yet, but have been in the past. Its a nice hike of about 90 minutes. There's not that much snow to need a ice axe. Most of the snow has since melted away.

10:19 p.m. on June 3, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Thanks for the beta. I've been up there a number of times. Had a real adventure once on a memorial day hike, more snow than I was fully prepared to deal with. Sounds like a "go" any time I can free myself.

1:48 a.m. on June 4, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

I was up there once and there was snow in the main crater bowl. A friend and I went up in July/August and the snow was drifted and still quite deep. But not anything we could not have walked around, I choose to glissade down thru it as my friend did walk around it.

Look me up with an email when you come I might be able to join you. I have a yahoo group called Hiking_Around_Flagstaff if you would like to check it out. I started it in April when I moved down here from Jackson Hole.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply