Hi Im J.C.

9:23 p.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Hey guys I just signed up for this site yesterday. I'm going on a mountain climbing trip with one of my best friends, this will be my first time. I was very reluctant to say yes but, some how he talked me into it! I wanted to join this site to get more information on what to expect, pretty much the good the bad and the ugly of mountain climbing if any! well thanks for reading my introduction and I look forward to chatting with you all.

8:33 p.m. on July 12, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,255 forum posts

JC

Welcome to Trailspace. A good way to start to getting acquainted with climbing in its myriad aspects is to search through Trailspace and the many other sites. But "getting acquainted" is the operative word here. You cannot learn climbing and all the required skills, techniques, gear use and choice, and most important judgment by reading. You may be aware by now that the Web is full of misinformation, a lot of it downright dangerous.Take anything you find on the Web with a HUGE grain of sodium chloride. Be cautious even of books (you never know exactly who wrote the book, though all the dust jackets and endleafs say "this book is the greatest, clearest, and most accurate ever written, and the author is the world's greatest expert on everything." Sometimes that is even true, but not always.

So the best way to really learn is to take a climbing course from qualified and certified instructors. You can find these at professional guide services and climbing schools, the major climbing clubs, many university climbing clubs, and even, dare I say it, sometimes at your local climbing area. Your friend may very well be an excellent mentor. Listen, observe, and don't just follow him blindly (even the best climbers and professional guides make mistakes sometimes, though climbing statistically is far safer than driving to and especially from climbing areas.

Scan through the Trailspace Climbing Forum (including the archives). You will find lots of good advice, and lots of people asking the same questions you have.

12:42 p.m. on July 20, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Okay thanks! I will definitely check that out!

10:51 a.m. on July 21, 2009 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Hi JC,
I recommend you read " MOUNTAINEERING The Freedom Of the Hills" it's published by the Mountaineers.
This book has had several updates and gives a good foundation in mountaineerig knowledge.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply