Will this gear cut it?

10:06 a.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

The only climbing experience I have has been with a guide. I know it will take me sometime before I have the gear and knowledge to do large climbs without serious help, but I would like to go back to high altitude again. I mostly do 3 season type outings and I have a pretty tight budget, but I do not want to make purchases that will not be useful down the road. I'd rather wait and buy the right thing than end up needing to purchase another piece of gear to replace something that will not cut it under extreme conditions. Thanks for your help

I recently purchased a Primus Gravity Multifuel Stove. I haven't received it yet, but I do not know how to evaluate if it will be the right stove for climbs above 15,000 feet and the conditions that can be encountered. I know it will do white gas, but I'm sure there is more to it than just having the right fuel. How can I figure this out? Here are the manufacture specs.
Material:Stainless steelBoil Time:4min (+40-60 sec preheat)Fuel Types:LP gas, gasoline/petrol, keroseneSimmer:YesAuto Ignition:NoFuel Bottle:Primus compatible, not includedWindscreen:YesHeat Reflector:YesParts Kit:YesCleaning Tool:YesStuff Sack:YesHard Case:NoSize:4 x 4 x 1.6in (101 x 101 x 40mm)Weight:12oz (341g)

I also purchased the Seira Designs Omega 2, 4-season convertable tent. The reviews I have read are pretty good, but I don't hear from anyone that has taken it in very extreme conditions. I am worried about the amount of vestibule space and wondering if I should try to switch it for a tent with a jake's foot. Specs Trail Weight: 6 lbs 3 oz / 6 lbs 13 oz Fastpack Weight: n/a / 4 lbs 6 oz Packed Weight: n/a / 7 lbs 9 oz Packed Size: 23in. x 7in. Number of Doors: 1 Interior Area: 37 sq. ft. Vestibule Area: 12 sq. ft.

1:31 p.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

When you say "above 15,000 ft", you leave a lot of territory and a very wide variety of conditions wide open. If you are talking about North America, that tent is questionable, though probably ok for the Mexican volcanoes. For Canada and Alaska (the other places in North America where you get peaks above 15k), convertible tents just don't make it (jakes or not). The SD Stretch Dome will do, although on the Alaskan peaks, it is a bit on the light-weight side (I mean durability, not weight).

Where are you talking about climbing?

4:45 p.m. on December 4, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Speaking of the stove, I would not worry too much. I've been using some outdated stoves above 15k in pretty nasty conditions. As long as it burns liquid fuel and you have some sort of wind protection - you will be fine. Frankly, you only need multifuel stove if you are not sure what kind of fuel will be available. And that is rarely the case in North America.

In general, modern equipment is so good that it is hardly the limiting factor. It is very rare that you hear about a disaster because somebody picked the wrong model of stove.

7:58 p.m. on December 6, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for your help guys. I will probably go out west this summer. I will also probably go to Nepal or Argentina in the next few years. It is probably a good idea for me to have a lighter tent for most of the stuff I get into in the US. I'll keep an eye on steapandcheap.com when I have some more funds and get a serious climbing tent later.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply