sternum pain

10:35 a.m. on August 29, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I did some strenuous climbing yesterday and woke up several times last night with this stabbing pain in my sternum. Now it (my sternum) is painful to the touch and it hurts to flex my chest area. It feels like a combination of skeletal and muscular pain. I had this pain about a year ago and didn't connect it with anything so it was dismissed. I've done some research and found that the symptoms are similar to a condition called Costochondritis, which is an inflammation of the cartilage that attaches the ribs to the breastbone. Has anyone heard of / experienced this before? If so what are some possible remedies? I know this isn't a medical forum but I was wondering if this pain was common in climbers.

Thanks, Scott

11:46 a.m. on August 29, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have problems there too. Sometimes, the problems go away after a loud pop. I think my back problems may even be related to it. I would like to know more myself.

-Arms

8:30 p.m. on August 30, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

this before? If so what are some possible remedies? I know this isn't a medical forum but I was wondering if this pain was common in climbers.

Quote:

Thanks, Scott

Vioxx and Celebrex are effective at treating chostocondritis, but they're both prescription meds. You should see a doc to have the situation evaluated.

Arthro problems aren't uncommon in the sternum/ribs. I had chest pain off and on--still do--for three years before an ortho dx'd a giant arthritis in my chest.

F/u with a doc.

2:45 p.m. on October 3, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I did some strenuous climbing yesterday and woke up several times last night with this stabbing pain in my sternum. Now it (my sternum) is painful to the touch and it hurts to flex my chest area. It feels like a combination of skeletal and muscular pain. I had this pain about a year ago and didn't connect it with anything so it was dismissed. I've done some research and found that the symptoms are similar to a condition called Costochondritis, which is an inflammation of the cartilage that attaches the ribs to the breastbone. Has anyone heard of / experienced this before? If so what are some possible remedies? I know this isn't a medical forum but I was wondering if this pain was common in climbers.

Thanks, Scott

Hi Scott I know exactly what your feeling thanks for putting a name to it,,i hve the same sternum pain, however i am not a climber i am in research of answer or solution for the pain because it make lifes simple movements difficult thanks for your input...Kimberly

3:49 p.m. on November 15, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I have a popping in my sternum as well but it has been occurring since an injury this past summer. Has anyone reported that the popping goes away after awhile?

2:21 p.m. on November 22, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I have a popping in my sternum as well but it has been occurring since an injury this past summer. Has anyone reported that the popping goes away after awhile?

Hi all, I have had this pain off and on for roughly five years now, just recently it came back with a vengence. I can't remember exactly what I did three or four months ago (probably lifted something heavy in a way that I shouldn't have) however I do know that certain things make it worse, and other's don't. For instance, if I slouch in my office chair, after an hour or so it hurts like a you know what and the only thing I can do to relieve it is the pop some of you spoke of. It's kind of like cracking your back or knuckles, it feels good, but I'm not so sure it's a good thing in the long run. It also acts up when I sleep on my side for the majority of the night. I usually wake up to coffee and a nice crack of the chest. Like I said, feels good, but not sure if it's good for me. I'm continuing to do some research to find the best solution with minimal perm. damage. Hope everyone heals soon.

Mike

7:07 p.m. on November 24, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I have problems there too. Sometimes, the problems go away after a loud pop. I think my back problems may even be related to it. I would like to know more myself.

-Arms

I would like to talk to someone about this pop, this started about a couple months ago for the first time and is still going on, when it pops it feels better but it pops in my back but hurts my sternum...;any info ?? I would just like to share info

5:36 p.m. on November 27, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I am also experiencing very bad pains in my sternum. I am a college student (still young) and slouch at a computer pretty much all day. My sternum stiffens up and I have to pop it to relieve tension. I have tried several different seats, some better than others, however the pain never completely goes away. Please inform me if anyone finds a good solution to get rid of this terrible pain.

5:36 p.m. on November 27, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I am also experiencing very bad pains in my sternum. I am a college student (still young) and slouch at a computer pretty much all day. My sternum stiffens up and I have to pop it to relieve tension. I have tried several different seats, some better than others, however the pain never completely goes away. Please inform me if anyone finds a good solution to get rid of this terrible pain.

8:05 a.m. on December 11, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I also sit at a computer for long periods of time and
just recently noticed that my sternum hurts. In addition,
I sleep on my side at night so I'm wondering if that
compounds the problem. I'm going to try to get back into
my yoga again.

9:29 p.m. on December 11, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Quote:

-Arms

I would like to talk to someone about this pop, this started about a couple months ago for the first time and is still going on, when it pops it feels better but it pops in my back but hurts my sternum...;any info ?? I would just like to share info

9:32 p.m. on December 11, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I too get problems there. Really hurts from my chest which feels as if it swells up, through my body to my spine. It has hindered my weight training and really makes me mad. My chest also pops like yours does. Feels much better after it pops. It has been like this for 4 months now. Any info would be much appreciated. I too feel it may be costochondritis.

12:42 a.m. on December 19, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I don't climb, but I did wake up with pain in my sternum. Hurts bad to the touch and is worse with deep breaths. Went to the doctor and he said it's similar to arthritis in the bone there and prescribed Celebrex which is an anti-inflammatory medication. Don't know anymore than that, I am waiting to see the results of the meds. Maybe you should check with your doctor.

11:13 p.m. on December 22, 2001 (EST)

about 5 months ago i started feeling pain in my sternum, and i have to arch my bac and stick my chest forward to pop it and then it feels better.. it feels like its out of joint and theres pain with it when i try to straighten up or if i slouch forward.. the only way for me to get rid of it is to crack it.. then it pops into place and its fine.. but i have to do this sooooooooooo many times in a day.. i'm trying to sit up straight now and watch my posture.. but i'm wondering.. does anyone actually know if its incorrect posture thats doing this.. the doc asked if i had a sporting injury.. but i've never had a bad fall.. and i only played tennis for 6 years andi dont remember injuring myself. thing is.. because the sternum is close to the heart.. i'm wondering.. if we dont get this checked out.. and then we have a bad fall.. we might be prone to easy breakage of the sternum which can puncture the heart... ohhhhh i dunno... its just really annoying having this.. i guess we should just all go get and xray and see what the doc has to say. i thought this was an uncommon thing.. but alot of you seem to have it too..
if you have any info i'd appreciate it.
sharon

9:00 a.m. on December 29, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Wow, I didn't realize sternum popping was this common. I have the exact symptoms and relief only comes from popping. Sometimes the pops are painful. Other times I can just stretch my arms back and I pop with absolutely no pain. Maybe this is a result of stress/tension. I am going to see my doctor in the next 2 weeks . . . will post my doc's findings.

Frank

Quote:

Quote:

Hi all, I have had this pain off and on for roughly five years now, just recently it came back with a vengence. I can't remember exactly what I did three or four months ago (probably lifted something heavy in a way that I shouldn't have) however I do know that certain things make it worse, and other's don't. For instance, if I slouch in my office chair, after an hour or so it hurts like a you know what and the only thing I can do to relieve it is the pop some of you spoke of. It's kind of like cracking your back or knuckles, it feels good, but I'm not so sure it's a good thing in the long run. It also acts up when I sleep on my side for the majority of the night. I usually wake up to coffee and a nice crack of the chest. Like I said, feels good, but not sure if it's good for me. I'm continuing to do some research to find the best solution with minimal perm. damage. Hope everyone heals soon.

Mike

7:12 a.m. on January 4, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

God bless you for this post. I had no idea that other people were experiencing this same thing.

I just woke up in the middle of the night to the worst pain in my sternum. My husband actually thought I might have actually have slept on our cordless phone! LOL! My symptoms are just like yours, a pain between my breasts which has become almost unbearable. If I move the wrong way, it hurts like hell. I sat at the computer for most of the day, I guess I might have been slouching, could that have caused it? And I also have that other condition you were talking about, the inflammation in the ribs, it's like being jabbed in the ribs when you move the wrong way. I was extremely worried because I was just diagnosed with asthma recently and wondered if that might have anything to do with it. Does anyone know? Please feel free to email me, with any comments or insight you might have in this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again!

12:43 p.m. on January 15, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-Arms

I, too, have sternum, pain, also accompanied by back pain and rib pain. I'm looking into the possibility of Thoracic outlet syndrome. I have a friend with the syndrome and she insists that too suffer from it.

11:23 p.m. on January 15, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I've been having the same problem for a while. I also noticed I have a bony bump in the middle of my sternum...that seems a bit odd also :-)

3:18 p.m. on March 28, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Thanks, Scott

Scott, I had the same thing but not from strenuous activity, I had bronchitis, and because of that I had the sternum pain. It felt like someone was sitting on my chest and I had some trouble breathing. My doctor prescribed VIOXX and it worked like a charm.

3:34 a.m. on May 1, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have a pain on the upper part of sternum (mandubrim i guess) for almost a year. It hurts an usualy makes a "click" sound when I sneeze. Also if I'm in a position where my shoulder's are lifted, like sitting in a chair leaning on the handles with my elbows, it rattles when i press on it, like it's "falling back in to place. I'm an active person, I train Ju Jitsu and lift weights, I had to leave ju jitsu for a time, and my weight training is seriously hindered. I have had recieved Diadynamic and Laser therapy, the pain was gone, though I still had to be carreful not to sneeze, but it returned shortly after I went back to training. Any clues - what helps?
Mihael Menart

3:36 a.m. on May 1, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I noticed a bump too. It hurts to the touch

Quote:

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I've been having the same problem for a while. I also noticed I have a bony bump in the middle of my sternum...that seems a bit odd also :-)

10:02 a.m. on May 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I too have this same sternum pain. I can trace it back to a hit I took in a fight. The guy punched me right in the sternum pretty hard. I did'nt think much about it then, but since then (eight months ago), I have had times of excruciating pain. Especially when I sleep on my side I can't even play golf anymore. I also have back pain, and the doctor I see said vioxx or celebrex would help. I haven't tried yet but will post results.

8:15 a.m. on May 27, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

anybody cured yet? I am experiencing the same pain which seems to be brought about by slouching at my desk at work. If I try to play any sport (I am a soccer goalkeeper and its hard to take it easy)the pain becomes almost unbearable the next day around the base of sternum/heart area. I am going to the hospital tomorrow for a thoracic chest x-ray hopefully i will have a result then. If not I am going to take a trip to my osteopath (also that of Middlesbrough FC) to see if he has encountered this and/or can sort me out

9:52 a.m. on June 25, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have these same problems. Sternum pain that seems to be related to working at a computer all day and sleeping on my side at night. I think it may be that I slouch my neck and shoulders too much at the desk. I'm going to try moving my monitor closer and reminding myself to keep my sholders back. Maybe get a new job! I'm trying to diagnose it myself because I have a feeling the doctor will say to try these same things. Good luck to all and please post any discoveries. I will too.

8:07 a.m. on January 24, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I have these same problems. Sternum pain that seems to be related to working at a computer all day and sleeping on my side at night. I think it may be that I slouch my neck and shoulders too much at the desk. I'm going to try moving my monitor closer and reminding myself to keep my sholders back. Maybe get a new job! I'm trying to diagnose it myself because I have a feeling the doctor will say to try these same things. Good luck to all and please post any discoveries. I will too.

1:25 p.m. on April 14, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I too get problems there. Really hurts from my chest which feels as if it swells up, through my body to my spine. It has hindered my weight training and really makes me mad. My chest also pops like yours does. Feels much better after it pops. It has been like this for 4 months now. Any info would be much appreciated. I too feel it may be costochondritis.

1:27 p.m. on April 14, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I get pain in the upper part of my sternum sometimes it doesnt last thet long but is very painful when i do have it. sometimes i think it is my heart becasue it hurts every morning when i sleep on my stomach

12:14 a.m. on May 28, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have that same problem and it really bugs me. I still havent found a "cure" for it yet and my doctor is totally baffled by it, but somethings help the pain ease away. When the popping occurs, I like to ice it, sit straight up on a hard back supported chair. Pain killers dont really work so i think that it will just hurt you more than help you. Breath slowly and try not to make any sudden movements. Comfort is most important so find a comfortable spot by moving around just a litte and move slowly. I'm going to see a phisical therapist and see if she has any tips, too.
I hope i helped some. If i have good, profesionall, details, ill keep you updated. I feel your pain.

12:28 p.m. on September 22, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've had this problem for sometime now, Heart condition has been ruled out. It can happen any time, most recently while I was standing, then a moved a certain way and the pain in the middle of my chest began. I can arch my shoulders in a way (butterfly like) and I'll hear a pop at the center of my chest and the sharp pain will go away with a lingering dull pain for a few monments. my doctor states its a cartilage problem. surgery would correct it but i will have to live with the scar doen the center of my chest! I see him next month, the pain has gotten more severe!

10:37 a.m. on July 3, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

I think that my sternum "Popping" may have been as result to CPR.
I was given CPR in my earlier 20's and since then I get severe chest pain that is relieved by flexing backwards over a chair until my sternum pops.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply