Uclimb events, worth the price?

11:22 a.m. on April 20, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Mountaingear sponsors Uclimb events to teach climbing. I might like to attend one this Summer. Any one ever been to one? What are your opinions of these events? The gear package seems to be a good deal.

www.uclimb.org

12:11 p.m. on April 20, 2010 (EDT)
2,445 reviewer rep
5,389 forum posts

I have never been to one of these commercial events, though over the years I have been to "climbing festivals" (basically the same thing) and "climb-ins" (put on by climbing organizations for members and guests). They can be fun, and I can see that they might be a reasonable way to do a "test drive" er I mean "test climb". The obvious motivation of UClimb is commercial - get more people involved so the sponsors can sell more gear. The gear packages are designed to provide the basics, which gets you hooked so you buy more of the latest greatest gear.

This "business model" is used by many activities. Sometimes they are called "Try It" days. For climbing, it is pretty easy to attract new participants, hence new customers. The climbs are pretty easy, yet still carry the "death-defying" feel.

On the positive side, UClimb is including LNT and climbing ethics as part of the activity.

The downside is that the crags are already too crowded. We gotta keep these newbie wannabes off My Rocks and My Hills.

So, don't go! You will find you enjoy it and get hooked, and then take all your buddies and overcrowd My Routes {8=>D

4:10 p.m. on April 20, 2010 (EDT)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I was hoping you would reply Bill, I always respect your input. My oldest girl and I may attend an event nearby. Here in Central Wa, where we plan to climb, things aren't too crowded yet. Most people in this area are more into gas-powered recreation.

1:09 a.m. on April 22, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

My Rocks and My Hills.

I will assent you this, Bill, because I think you are a few years my senior. My problem is my contemporaries are getting too old for this stuff, and I have become too slow to keep up with the youngsters.
Ed

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply