Glacier Volcano Climbing-cotopaxi Ecuador

1:52 p.m. on May 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I will be in Ecuador with a pair of Gortex Merrell Hiking shoes. I will be climbing Cotopaxi Volcano which is almost 20,000 ft. I believe that I will need a different pair of boots, but how do I know what are the best for this type of climb? they main criteria is that they need to be able to accept crampons.

Thanks!

7:39 p.m. on May 11, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Cotopaxi in the upper parts is cold enough that you will want a pair of expedition double boots, possibly the plastic outer shell. Scarpa, La Sportiva, Vasque, Asolo, Boreal, Koflach, Raichle, and several others make reasonable ones. Boots are such an individual thing (everyone's feet are different) that several of these brands may fit you poorly, and only one fits properly. Be sure you go to a shop with an boot fitter experienced in properly fitting this type of boot.

8:18 p.m. on May 12, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,279 forum posts

Have you gone cold and high before? Are you part of a guided trip? If not, you may need to bone up on the specifics of going high, and cold trekking. Many novices to the up-high make the mistake of sleeping with their boots on, thinking they’ll avoid the discomfort of cold “morning boot,” when instead they risk swollen feet, frost bite, and trench foot. Other tips are out there; pick the brains of those you know with experience, as well as do a lot of reading on the topic. You wouldn’t want to ruin your trip making simple mistakes that are easily avoidable, given the proper background knowledge. In any case, don’t attempt this type of trip unless someone in the party has high altitude experience.
Ed

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply