Good movie

5:15 a.m. on November 13, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
610 reviewer rep
673 forum posts

I just stumbled across one of the better climbing movies I have seen, called simply North Face (Nordwand, 2008), director Philipp Stötzl (in German as you might guess). A partial fictification of a (tragic) 1936 German-Austrian attempt on the North Face of the Eiger that set the stage for Heinrich Harrer and co.'s first ascent in 1938. (One liberty taken with the facts is that it depicts separate Austrian and German parties joining forces halfway up the mountain, which happened on Harrer's climb, not the 1936 attempt). Looks to have been filmed 100% on the Eiger, with pretty authentic looking period gear (and maybe personalities?). Spiced up with some politics and love interest, but mostly about the climbing. A Wikipedia article dissects truth from fiction. I found my credibility stretched a bit towards the end of the movie, when it also gets a little slow (although it's summarizing many agonizing, real-life hours, like five hours or more of repeated penduluming trying to get back across the Hinterstoisser traverse, which they had firsted on the way up). Although it's more fictionalized, I would put it almost on par with Touching the Void, well above The Eiger Sanction, and in the stratosphere compared to many other Hollywood products I could name.

1:54 a.m. on November 14, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

I love this movie, I've watched it a few times now. I agree parts of the ending are quite fictionalized, but in the end compared with other garbage climbing movies, it was pretty great.

4:46 p.m. on November 14, 2010 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

What?  You mean there's other stuff out there other than CLIFFHANGER??

I saw in Outside magazine something about a movie called ALONE ON THE WALL(2009), supposed to be the most "terrifying" movie about rock climbing, free solo climbing.

10:45 p.m. on November 14, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I enjoyed the North FAce movie a good deal.  I really don't care what parts were real and what was fictionalized, I thought the movie iteself was good drama.  I happen to love the Eiger Sanction, I think it's a great period piece.

5:11 a.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
610 reviewer rep
673 forum posts

Have y'all seen Touching the Void? Don't miss that one!

8:24 a.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

And there was a good one on PBS last night about Mark Inglis and David Sharp called DYING FOR EVEREST.

2:19 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,294 forum posts

There is a thread here on Trailspace (last spring) about this film. Several of us had seen it and discussed it at that time.

4:12 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

Tipi - I've seen that as well - it was decent. 

I actually really like the Discovery documentary series Beyond the Limit - even though parts of it are lame because they focus so much on the annoying personalities of the climbers (some of whom shouldn't be there), for the most part it is interesting and captivating.

The sherpas wear helmet cams and give some really awesome perspectives on climbing Everest, and it gives you an inside look at some of the logistics that go into planning those trips for the big outfitters like HimEx.

4:48 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Touching the Void was a  top notch film.

10:39 a.m. on November 21, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,148 forum posts

Yes, I have also recently seen this movie, found it at my local library. It was very good indeed!

10:33 p.m. on November 25, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Touching the Void was a  top notch film.

Very well done and a true story.

5:09 p.m. on November 26, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I always recommend "Touch The Top Of The World." Its the story of Erik Weihenmayers Everest ascent. For those who are unaware of who he is he was the 1st blind individual to summit Everest. He has also completed the 7 summits. Very inspiring story.

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply