Climbing 101

10:50 p.m. on March 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I was interested in trying out climbing. I was going to hit my local rock gym a few times to see if I like it or not.

I was hoping that the experienced climbers here could point me to some good websites for me to get some info from.

Thanks!

5:35 a.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

The best advice we can offer is getting your fundimental knowledge, based on advice and tutelage from qualified climbing instructors.  Too much at stake to do this on the cheap!

Ed

8:01 a.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Lattitude - I'm also just starting out.  I've been to a local rock gym a number of times in the last month and I'm hooked.  Best of fortunes in getting into climbing!

1:15 p.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Latitude, what area are you in? The reason for my inquiry is the there are a few retailers/companies/outfitters that offer classes and what not to give you hands on instruction with things like this. The 1st one that comes to mind is REI. The one here in Pittsburgh has a wall and they have seminars with knowledgeable enthusiasts that run them. They also offer other seminars with thru hikers etc. They typically post the upcoming seminar schedules/outtings on the their website. Check around and most of all inquire. Ya never know what ya may find. Even better it may be very close to ya. Like I say, you can never have too much knowledge.

7:34 p.m. on March 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I am in Florida. I wish we had an REI...or even something REI-like near me. I am probably going to have to stick with a climbing gym for now, since our average elevation is below sea level. Ha.

Now I just have to convince one of my buddies to hit up the climbing gym with me.

8:57 p.m. on March 23, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Good luck with climbing you'll see its adictive. In a good way. Ed's comment is right on the spot. I would add dont give up if it is hard at first. One of the best part in climbing is overcomming difficulty. The reward you get from it will be your own. Also getting a book and joining a florida based web based forum will help you meet others.

10:02 a.m. on March 24, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,426 reviewer rep
1,233 forum posts

Can you climb in FLA? Isn't the highest point in FL a freeway overpass?  Ok that was mean.  I'd check the local universities.  They usually have a wall as well and the rates are cheap and youy might sneak in if you can pass for a student, or professor.  I'd consider growing a beard. 

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply