Teton Conditions(owens)???

9:38 a.m. on July 18, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Headed up to the Tetons this weekend for some alpine fun. Thinking about doing Owen(either frixel or Koven to get a little more time on the snow). Anyone have the beta on the snow conditions right now?

Also considering, if we are feeling really ambitious, getting after the last three in the grande traverse(middle, south, nez perce)in a car to car push. Any beta on conditions and requisite snow gear for that one.

Thanks in advance,

matt s

9:58 a.m. on July 18, 2001 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Ahhh...the Tetons...

Quote:

Headed up to the Tetons this weekend for some alpine fun. Thinking about doing Owen(either frixel or Koven to get a little more time on the snow). Anyone have the beta on the snow conditions right now?

Friends were just there last weekend. Rumor has it that typically snow conditions may be as much as a month ahead of schedule.

Pardon my ignoramous, but, whats a "frixel"? Fritiof not withstanding...

Do the NE Snowfields to East Ridge on Owen, its a beaut.

Quote:

Also considering, if we are feeling really ambitious, getting after the last three in the grande traverse(middle, south, nez perce)in a car to car push. Any beta on conditions and requisite snow gear for that one.

Not sure yer game plan there cowboy, but if you start by ascending the N. Ridge of the Middle, dump down the SW coulior then traverse over to zee South, you might not need any snow gear...

Have done Cloudviel, to Spaulding to Gilkeys (or Gilkeys to Spaulding, can't remember which summit comes first) and bailed before we hit the Ice Cream Cone, which looks to be kinda burly from that direction. We didn't use snow or ice gear at all.

Hmmm...I smell a TR comin' our way...!

Brian in SLC

12:50 p.m. on July 18, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Fryxell

Quote:

Pardon my ignoramous, but, whats a "frixel"? Fritiof not withstanding...

It is a route that was done in 1931 by fritiof fryxell and frank smith. It cuts across the first snow field(below the second which is the standard route on the koven) and cuts up onto the soutwest ridge. Check out page 263, route #5 in Ottenberger and Jackson's "a climber's guide to the teton range." We are probably talking about the same route.

As for the final three. Plan would be to do it via the lower saddle as if you were completing the big one. I want to piece together that thing in the event I get serious about doing it.

Am quite excited to slip on the crampers and get worked ala a little altitude. Love that crap.

How was the trip to texas? Any excitement in the last few weeks?

matt s

1:07 p.m. on July 18, 2001 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Switchblades and tequila...

Quote:

It is a route that was done in 1931 by fritiof fryxell and frank smith. It cuts across the first snow field(below the second which is the standard route on the koven) and cuts up onto the soutwest ridge. Check out page 263, route #5 in Ottenberger and Jackson's "a climber's guide to the teton range." We are probably talking about the same route.

Aha... -1 point for mispellin'.

Quote:

As for the final three. Plan would be to do it via the lower saddle as if you were completing the big one. I want to piece together that thing in the event I get serious about doing it.

Quite an undertaking...makes me tared just thinkin' about it...

Quote:

Am quite excited to slip on the crampers and get worked ala a little altitude. Love that crap.

Headin' to the windys tomorrow, so, yeah, know what ya mean.

Quote:

How was the trip to texas?

Pork ribs and brisket, mexican food, shiner bock. Thats pretty much the highlights.

Quote:

Any excitement in the last few weeks?

Been some great t-showers...fun climbing in the Uinta's, Maple ('bout perished climbing wet moss and pullin' loose holds but...), and BCC.

Man, seems like summers on the fast track to slippin' away, and I haven't done one trip to the Tetons...ugh...

Brian in SLC

1:47 p.m. on July 19, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Headed up to the Tetons this weekend for some alpine fun. Thinking about doing Owen(either frixel or Koven to get a little more time on the snow). Anyone have the beta on the snow conditions right now?

Also considering, if we are feeling really ambitious, getting after the last three in the grande traverse(middle, south, nez perce)in a car to car push. Any beta on conditions and requisite snow gear for that one.

Thanks in advance,

matt s

the Koven is almost completely melted out! we made an attempt about a week ago, but were stormed off.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: Petzl Reverso Newer: anyone still use fleece?
All forums: Older: safety tips for gals? Newer: Walrus Micro