TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

I received the following today from the ACCT-

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 21, 2011
Release #11-201 Firm's Recall Hotline: (877) 421-2267
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact:(301) 504-7908Photon Climbing Carabiners and Quickdraws Recalled Due to Risk of Injury

WASHINGTON, D.C. - TheU.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Photon carabiners, Photon and Mach Express quickdraws

Units: About 15,500

Importer: CAMP USA Inc., of Broomfield, Colo.

Hazard: The carabiner gate may open under a heavy load, posing a risk of serious injury or death if the climber falls.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: The Photon model carabiners are used by climbers as connectors and are sold individually or as components of the Photon Express and Mach Express quickdraw used as extenders to anchor a climber. The carabiners were sold in a variety of colors including green, yellow, silver and brown. The quickdraws use a white or black fabric strap with green, yellow or gray stitching and Photon carabiners attached at each end.

Sold at: Outdoor retail stores nationwide from February 2011 through March 2011 for between $8 and $12.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled carabiners and quickdraws sold with carabiners immediately and contact CAMP USA to return the recalled products for a full refund.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact CAMP USA Inc. toll-free at (877) 421-2267 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. MT Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s website at www.camp-usa.com

11201a.jpg

11201b.jpg

11201c.jpg

CPSC is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about it by visiting www.saferproducts.gov

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, andhousehold chemicals- contributed significantly to the decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054. To join a CPSC e-mail subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain recall and general safety information by logging on to CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

As usual, remember that climbing is dangerous. Climbing and use and misuse of climbing gear may result in serious injury or death. You climb at your own risk.

9:44 p.m. on April 25, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

15000 units seems like a big recall. It's the biggest I remember seeing. What do you think Bill?

9:11 a.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
3,329 reviewer rep
1,219 forum posts

So, pretty much every model of biner they sell.

I hate being a brand snob but Camp is always one of the lowest price companies at pretty much everything they sell.  I like BD, Petzl and Mammut for climbing gear.  For some reason I trust them more.  I'm sure they are all made at the same factory in China though. 

9:25 a.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I almost picked up some wire gate photons a little while ago. I am glad I opted to go with something else.  

11:54 a.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

some of camp's products are ok. I own a climbing helmet and a pair of crampons from them, and both have been great.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the brand overall, but for gear that is so essential to living when you are hanging off a rock or ice, it's better to go with tried and true products.

That doesn't mean pay full price for it! You can frequently find sales at reputable companies for this type of gear.

12:04 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
3,329 reviewer rep
1,219 forum posts

I admit I wear a Camp Rockstar helmet and use their iceaxe too. 

Amen to never paying MSRP on the good stuff though. 

12:43 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

...  I like BD, Petzl and Mammut for climbing gear.  For some reason I trust them more.  I'm sure they are all made at the same factory in China though. 

Having been through the BD factory in Salt Lake and watched carabiners and other gear being made and production samples being tested, I can assure you that at least the hardware is US made. My BD Sabertooth crampons are marked on the box as Made in USA. Some of Petzl's gear is made in China (it is stamped on the gear).

There are multiple factories in China that make climbing gear, though, so not all of the gear made in China is made at the same factory.

3:38 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,011 forum posts

Thanks for sharing this, Bill.

I've also posted it in the Gear News section of Articles on the site:

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2011/04/26/camp-carabiners-quickdraws-recalled.html

8:43 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
3,329 reviewer rep
1,219 forum posts

Though I was being a tad sarcastic I appreciate the clarification.

9:07 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Some bd gear is made in china. But its the first time I hear about petzl. Got an example Bill?

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply