Custom Gear Revival

9:30 a.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Custom Gear Revival"

Chaco and Princeton Tec have new custom products, but custom gear has a long history. Trailspace reviews new custom gear and companies that have been making unique gear and equipment for years.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2011/11/21/custom-gear.html

2:01 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
Re: Custom Gear

I hope this customizing thin works as I have asked another headlamp company to produce a red diffuser lens for a headlamp, time will tell.

2:57 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

my current petzl headlamp had a red diffuser in the box....i never use it.  want mine?  :)

i have been wearing my current pair of custom Z-2 pros for a couple of years now (i need a wide, and they don't sell the Z-2 pro in wide normally).  when i ordered them, i called the repair number and ordered the new pair; they weren't advertising the custom service then.  added bonus, if you care, is that while Chaco has farmed manufacturing overseas, i think they run the rechaco/custom program out of the US.  (would double-check because i'm not positive that's the case).

11:22 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Hey there Heavy Gut,

I am interested in your offer for the red diffuser lens.

If it fits Petzl MYO XP then I am really interested, let me know.

Many thanks.

e84-p2_v2.jpg

9:52 a.m. on November 22, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

An accessory pack of red, green and clear lens covers are widely available for the Tikka line, but i don't think it fits the MYO line.

3:32 p.m. on November 22, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

I would be interested in custom fit Gore-tex (soft) shell pants for back country skiing. I am tall and thin and just can't bring myself to pay $hundreds for pants that fit badly, either too short or too baggy. Medium longs would do, but all I ever see are S, M, L, XL. Anybody have any tips?

4:47 p.m. on November 22, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Seth said:

An accessory pack of red, green and clear lens covers are widely available for the Tikka line, but i don't think it fits the MYO line.

My Tikka plus 2 already has a red led/strobe function. Is this something that is for the older models for tactical use maybe?

6:30 p.m. on November 22, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

BigRed said:

I would be interested in custom fit Gore-tex (soft) shell pants for back country skiing... ..Anybody have any tips?

There is a cottage industry (in the USAanyway) of seamstresses who custom fabricate a surprising array of articles.  I obtain some of my gear in such a manner.  For example I get custom made gaiters because most commercial models don't fit my boots, and I don't want insulation, goretex, or other water shedding treatments.  Custom made costs about double similar articles off the rack, but a skilled craftsperson will deliver a quality item. 

Look for folks who repair tents and sleeping bags, often these folks also have apparel patterns ready to adapt to your specs.  Another source for soft gear custom work includes marine sail and tarp suppliers.  I used one of these companies to make a rain fly for a large cabin tent.  Lastly a good shoe/luggage repair shop can do a surprising range of work.  I have used my local cobbler to replace damaged lash points on my back packs, repair or replace zippers, fabricate custom cargo lashing straps used to secure bulky items to Kelty D4 frames on expeditions, and other tack style repairs and fabrications.  Their rates were very reasonable too.

Ed

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply