Arc'teryx makes all-weather capes for homeless

10:18 a.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,097 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Arc'teryx makes all-weather capes for homeless"

Arc’teryx is known for its high-end outdoor apparel, but staying warm and dry shouldn't be a luxury. The company turns its end-of-roll and discontinued Gore-Tex fabrics into outdoor necessities: all-weather capes for the homeless and disadvantaged.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2011/12/27/arcteryx-birds-nest-capes.html

12:22 p.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

Great story.  Would I be alone in wishing that they made these commercially?  I know The Packa is similar to this; never tried one but people who have them love them.

3:10 p.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,597 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

Cool idea. 

This is about the only way I could ever afford something from this company. 

If you can't buy one commercially you might be able to buy one from a homeless person.  Or maybe trade?

4:15 p.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

Eh.  I don't mind paying out the nose for quality, especially when upper management fosters an environment where social justice is also a consideration.  Patagonia also comes to mind. 

12:37 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

A waterproof poncho?  Sounds like they're missing out on a backpacker's dream! 

On another note, it is pretty cool that Arc'teryx is doing something like this.  When everyone is mass purchasing brand X at the lowest price produced in the slum of the week, there are companies that produce in less volume but remain focused in the local market.  I realize that Arc'teryx does have manufacturing offshore, but it's really great to read about this going on in community.  It's a case of putting a face on a corporation, which is not easy these days.

4:33 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

As a social conservative, I love this stuff! It is what I have always argued we as individuals/private sector are supposed to do. The more of this that is done, the less government  has to collect to do it their inefficient, beaurocratic  way.

9:07 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Makes me feel better about the megabucks I shell out for Arc'Teryx.  Quality has a price and so does North American production.  Keep it on the continent!

12:48 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I wish Arc'teryx would sell the capes, insulated or not, for bicyclists.

The purchases would further subsidize the capes for homeless.

I would purchase one.

1:03 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,196 forum posts

Now if we could only create urban park-green spaces for homeless tent cities.  I've got a few tents to donate . . . . .

12:03 a.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Occupy everywhere seems to be doing pretty well with the Urban Parks.

5:21 p.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

A grand idea. Well done to the crew at Arc'teryx.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply