Safe Travel in Avalanche Terrain

9:13 a.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Safe Travel in Avalanche Terrain"

Ninety percent of all avalanche victims die in slides triggered by themselves or by a member of their group. However, avalanche conditions are predictable and there are techniques you can learn to help minimize your risk in avalanche terrain.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2012/01/03/avalanche-education.html

4:14 p.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Good reminder that anyone of us who gets out in winter can benefit from these courses, Philip. Who was your instructor last winter?

4:42 p.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Dave Lottmann at Eastern Mountain Sports Climbing School in North Conway. NH. He's really an excellent teacher and ice climber. Here's his personal web site:

http://davidlottmann.wordpress.com/

He makes some great climbing videos too!

5:41 p.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Awesome video!

Avalanches scare the dickens outta me, luckily I don't invade their territory much.

Of course here in the Pacific NW, we'd have to get some sort of snow to have to worry much about avalanches.  In Moses Lake we haven't had more than an inch all winter.  Its 45F degrees here today! Ski season is pretty much ruined unless that #$%@ La Nina shows up soon.

I can't complain too much though, the last two winters held on here till very late.  Maybe I'll go rock climbing.

12:24 a.m. on January 19, 2012 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Good article, its a good idea to get hands on training. I recommend The American Avalanche Institute in Wilson, Wyoming. Going with a Professional Mountain Guide will expose you to this terrain and let you ask questions allowing you to get some experience.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply