Soak your worries away in trailside hot springs

9:06 a.m. on January 6, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,017 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Soak your worries away in trailside hot springs"

Hot springs and winter hiking, snowshoeing, or skiing are a match made in heaven. Check out these five hot springs, and some tips and tricks for making the most of your hot spring experience.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/01/06/trailside-hot-springs.html

11:14 a.m. on January 6, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,062 forum posts

Here's also a few other nice hot springs to soak in, I have been to these.

thumbnailCAYVB1X8.jpg

San Francisco Hot Springs in western New Mexico

newmexico.org/explore/hot_springs/san_francisco.php

thumbnail.jpg

Huckleberry Hot Springs in NW Wyoming between Jackson Hole and Yellowstone

www.rei.com/.../wyoming/hiking/huckleberry-hot-springs/21372

meadow4.jpg

Meadow Hot Springs near Beaver in Cenral Utah
www.utahoutdooractivities.com/meadowspring.html

12:46 p.m. on January 6, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,249 forum posts

One danger not mentioned in the article is poisoning and suffocation. It turns out that a number of hot springs, being associated as they are with volcanic activity (geothermal, after all), have a large amount of carbon dioxide and various sulfur-containing gases. Some pools in the Mammoth Mountain area have seen fatalities from this, as have some others in the Owens Valley area. Same with some pools in Nevada and New Mexico that I have heard of. Some, but not all, of such pools are now posted. So be very very cautious.

One of the pools in Owens Valley has for generations been a "mandatory" stop for skiers, climbers and backpackers returning from the Sierra and White Mountain backcountry for a bit of relaxation before the long drive home.

6:09 p.m. on January 6, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
1,197 forum posts

We lost Kennedy Hot Springs on Glacier Peak to a mudslide in 2003.  A shame.

I have a healthy respect for H2S (hydrogen sulfide).  H2S likes to lay in low spots like hot springs.  Luckily it stinks at low levels.  At high levels it kills the sense of smell and then you.  I always wondered why people steer clear of furmaroles on Mt Hood and Baker but willingly go into steam vents on Rainier.  Seems odd.

11:58 a.m. on January 7, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,454 forum posts

From-Card-167.jpg

This is AZ Hotsprings above the Colorado River. It is below Hoover Dam. There are springs all along the canyon to hike to from the river banks.

1:09 p.m. on January 7, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,062 forum posts

Is that you giftogab in the shades? Looks inviting!

1:25 p.m. on January 7, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,454 forum posts

No...I am in Red.

12:29 a.m. on January 8, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

There are  a couple of places I used to go in the interior of the Sierras, one east of Mammoth and south of Red's meadow, the other east of Mt Whitney, but now they are crowded to the point in summer that they are no longer enjoyable IMO.  Both sites are degraded from overuse.  Even in winter these sites sometimes draw a surprising number of admirers, despite the fact one of them isn't even on the USGS maps.

Ed

10:09 a.m. on January 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

While in alaska we stopped at a Artic Circle Hot Springs. It is fully developed with a naturally fed 99 degree f pool. Even in the winter with air temp at -30 the pool is still 99 degrees. The main house was transported at the turn of the century to its current location and still rents some of the original rooms. There are bungalows you can rent with hot tubs fed by spring water at 138 degrees. You have to fill the hot tub and wait a few hours before you can climg in.

12:56 p.m. on January 9, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
867 forum posts

I've been to Alvord Hotsprings several times though it has been 15 years since my last visit. The photo doesn't do it justice. The soaking springs are in concreted pools that have old washing machine tubs for sitting. The expanse of the Alvord playa borders the east side of the springs and the Steens uplift is to the west, a pretty dramatic place.

On the Alaska Highway(Alcan) east of Watson Lake, is Liard Hotsprings It is only somewhat developed. The valley has a lot of flora that are unique to an area so far north. 

Besides the gases that can pose a potential risk in hotsprings that Bill S mentioned, there is a nasty little amoeba that one can get from a soak. Although rare, it is almost always fatal. Here is a link to an article about it.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/29/health/he-springs29

11:49 a.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,017 forum posts

Erich,  I saw the springs from the top of Steens a few years ago, but never ventured over.  I should have! N. Fowleri is an evil critter, for sure, but unlikely to harm you unless you get it up your nose.  Oddly, there have been a few reports of people contracting fatal N. Fowleri infections from snorting tap water!  Some other amobeas in tepid water can cause skin infections, some serious, but few fatal.

6:01 p.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,454 forum posts

Seth! YES..Netty Pots seem to be the culpret with the tap water thingy....I simply cannot even dream of the netty pot stuff. I use the Hemalayin salt inhaler instead.

SALT.jpg

11:22 a.m. on January 14, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
867 forum posts

There have also been infections of N. Fowleri  from swimming in lakes and rivers. Fortunately it is quite rare, and while usually it "crawls" in through the nose, it can enter through open sores as well. Just thought people should be aware.

The Steens area is quite a dramatic place. North is French Glen and the Malheur Wildlife Sanctuary, south is the "town" of Fields and pronghorn territory. I've seen mustangs on the western slopes of the Steens.

1:07 p.m. on January 16, 2012 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

www.Soak.net 

6:22 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,017 forum posts

Friends - I would avoid Conundrum Hot Springs for the next few months.  Apparently, a bunch of dead cows are frozen in the cabin there.  No joke: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/04/18/150889549/in-colorado-frozen-cows-are-a-conundrum-in-conundrum

6:31 p.m. on April 20, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Seth said:

Friends - I would avoid Conundrum Hot Springs for the next few months.  Apparently, a bunch of dead cows are frozen in the cabin there.  No joke: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/04/18/150889549/in-colorado-frozen-cows-are-a-conundrum-in-conundrum

Oooh oooh.... USE EXPLOSIVES.

It worked for a beached whale in Oregon...

Well it kinda worked:

12:16 p.m. on April 21, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

- Hot Springs, add the hot springs from www.Soak.net that are along the route.

July 12, 2014
Quick Reply