Vibram's FiveFingers Lontra made for winter running

8:15 a.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Vibram's FiveFingers Lontra made for winter running"

Cold-weather running can pose a challenge in minimalist footwear. The insulated, water-resistant FiveFingers Lontra is Vibram's answer to "running in wet, yucky conditions."

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2012/01/30/vibram-fivefingers-lontra-winter.html

5:34 p.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I just HAVE to ask ... what in Heaven's Name is THE HURRY?

Running?   Why?

I have probably hiked ThOUSANDS of MILES, over my many years.   THOUSANDS.

NEVER in a hurry.  Might miss something.

Oh, well ....    I'd better stop here .... 

~ r2 ~

6:58 p.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I don't run much anymore due to bad knees, but if the Lontra's work well for those who do...more power to them.

9:01 p.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I'm a long(skate)boarder from wayyy back in the day.  I used to be a bare-footer.  I've been wondering about how the Lontra would work on a board. There's a lot to be said for independent toe movement and how it affects control. 

At age 48.8, Ive been asked "Why?" more times than I care to count. The answer to that particularly rhetorical question is ALWAYS, "Why not?" Why do any of us do what we do? Because we enjoy it.

10:20 p.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I would definitely be interested in getting my hands on a pair of these asap.

I am considering trying to do the 70 mile LHHT in 3 days(or less) in the spring. 

These might be perfect for that type of trip for me. I am trying to go "light and nimble." 

In regards to R2s comment....

To be blunt... Different strokes for different folks.

If everyone liked the same thing the world would be a boring and very predictable place. 

3:13 a.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I just noticed the August 1st release date... Oh well, back to the drawing board.

6:55 a.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

In regards to R2s comment....

... Different strokes for different folks.

True.

Definitely NOT for me.

I'm too frugal and practical, as well as careful (not to risk turning an ankle, etc.).

Brings to mind the old metaphor of the "Tortoise And The Hare".

~ r2 ~

9:13 a.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

Seems like someone has frugally and practically, as well as carefully managed to show their head is in their arss.  (at risk of turning their neck, etc.).

Brings to mind the "open mouth and inserted foot" metaphor.

5:51 p.m. on February 24, 2012 (EST)
32 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

TRY IT ,YOU MIGHT LIKE IT!

10:08 a.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

As much trouble as I have getting my toes into my Fivefinger original sandals, how does one do it when the whole foot is covered? I always have trouble putting my toes into their proper places and thats with reaching into the top of the sandla just an inch away. I don't see how anyone puts them in when the foot is covered wholely?

6:01 p.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Vibram's idea of 'winter running' is apparently different than mine. Froze a couple of toes a few years ago wearing -40° boots. NO WAY would I trust Fivefingers for winter wear.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply