Appalachian Trail to Celebrate 75th Anniversary

7:06 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
0 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Appalachian Trail to Celebrate 75th Anniversary"

The Appalachian Trail, the longest hiking-only footpath in the world, celebrates its 75th anniversary in August. Now measuring roughly 2,180 miles from Georgia to Maine, the original trail took more than 15 years to build.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/07/11/appalachian-trail-celebrates-75th-anniversary.html

10:21 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

WOW! how interesting! Especially for a westerner like myself who doesn't really know much about the A.T......excpet what people here post in trip reports. :) I would LOVE to got to the weekend of festivities planned in August!

10:50 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

I humbly share my small piece of AT history. In 1934, my great uncle was one of four members of the Bates Outing Club (he was club president) who completed the final scouting trip to connect the trail. That's him, second from left, in both pictures below in western Maine:

bates-scouts-700.jpg

batesscouts.jpg

I have a copy of their trip log, which we followed and which I wrote about back on the 70th anniversary:

10:51 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Since my teens I have wanted to hike the AT. The time required for the trip is a major investment and difficult to arrange. Maybe I can do it in my "retirement" years :).

8:00 p.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I thought this writeup was amazing.  The background, history, information was really great.  I want to shut down my computer now and just go for a hike!  Great writeup Alicia.  As always, fantastic website as well.

9:38 p.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

skibum12 said:

I want to shut down my computer now and just go for a hike! 

What an outstanding idea! :D

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply