A Flood of Water-Repellent Down for Sleeping Bags

11:00 a.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "A Flood of Water-Repellent Down for Sleeping Bags"

Down that keeps you warm, even when wet? A flood of hydrophobic DownTek, DriDown, and Q.Shield Down insulation promises to repel water while maintaining loft, insulation, and breathability, even when wet.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/07/24/water-repellent-down-sleeping-bags.html

3:54 p.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

Were'nt the feathers already waterproof while they were still ON the goose? 

Just sayin'

7:51 p.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

I bought an MEC Merlin DF -3 this year, used it twice so far, love it and a review will happen eventually... It has the 800+ goose down.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/SleepingBags/DownMummyBags/PRD~5025-523/mec-merlin-df-sleeping-bag-3c.jsp

8:06 p.m. on July 24, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

amEuphorbia said:

I bought an MEC Merlin DF -3 this year, used it twice so far, love it and a review will happen eventually... It has the 800+ goose down.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/SleepingBags/DownMummyBags/PRD~5025-523/mec-merlin-df-sleeping-bag-3c.jsp

Thanks for sharing that. I hadn't seen the DWR-treated down at MEC.

Berghaus also released a water-resistant down jacket, according to this 2011 Outdoors Magic article

It's the Mount Asgard Hybrid Jacket, a "Lightweight Hybrid Jacket Utilising Hydrophobic Down and PrimaLoft Insulation."

2:11 p.m. on July 25, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I find this all immensely interesting.  However, as we all know, DWR eventually wears off and hence, this is a bit gimmicky.

2:33 p.m. on July 25, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

Family Guy said:

I find this all immensely interesting.  However, as we all know, DWR eventually wears off and hence, this is a bit gimmicky.

Just to clarify, the nanopolymer treatments used on the sleeping bags in the article aren't a DWR like the ones mentioned in the comments above (though it's interesting to know that method has been used by at least MEC and Berghaus). 

For DownTek and DriDown, a micro-thin nano polymer is permanently applied to the individual down plumes to make them water-repellent, plus anti-mocrobial and anti-bacterial.

Hope that helps. Sorry for any confusion.

We'll have a separate article on the different technologies mentioned as well.

5:22 p.m. on July 25, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Just sayin'

I like your thinking

8:04 p.m. on July 25, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Just sayin'

Ha ha! I'll go ahead and take that as an opportunity to share a previous Trailspace article: "Gear Explained: Down Insulation."

For anyone wondering, down can contain both down clusters (tiny, fine, fluffy feathers, from the birds' undercoats) and feathers, but the more down clusters in the insulation the better. The clusters, which are not waterproof, insulate you by trapping air in them.

By the way, a product is required to contain a minimum of 75 percent down clusters to be labeled as "Down." High quality down will contain far less feathers than that though and be mostly down clusters.

1:42 a.m. on July 26, 2012 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

With this new Dri-Down technology ANY winter down bag without it will probably hang on store racks long after the Dri-Down winter bags are gone.

This may be true of garments as well, which get their fair share of rain and perspiration in normal use.

12:53 a.m. on July 27, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Why no models from anyone in subzero ratings??????? Where are the -10 and -30 bags in semi-mummy and mummy?

Regarding live birds and waterproofing......google "preening" or "preen glands". Waterfowl preen their outer feathers and feet but not the underneath down clusters.

2:11 p.m. on July 27, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

FYI, I just updated the article to reflect that DownTek is only used in NEMO's 700-fill bags for 2013. It is not in NEMO's 850 fill down Siren quilt.

September 3, 2014
Quick Reply