About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Black Diamond Expands 2013 Ski Offerings

8:04 p.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,918 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Black Diamond Expands 2013 Ski Offerings"

Black Diamond has been busy revamping and expanding its ski offerings for 2013-14 with 11 new skis, two new boots and packs, plus a new beacon from Pieps.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2013/01/24/black-diamond-ski-2013.html

7:09 a.m. on January 26, 2013 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
2,224 forum posts

Alas no one makes a light weight tele boot that cranks but is comfortable enough to walk long approaches anymore.  And my thirty year old Scarpa double boots are just about at the end of their life.  Are THEY listening?

Ed

5:31 p.m. on January 31, 2013 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

My Scarpa NTN Pro comps are a lighter teleboot that cranks and doesn't have the duckbill which made it a pain in the rear to kick steps in snow, potentially trip over things and yet is as comfortable as my regular hiking boots.  Trouble is, you need to by NTN bindings then.  I got into NTN because I won a pair of bindings, the freerides.  They were pretty heavy for backcountry touring, but the new freedoms just rock.  They are much lighter and ski really well.  Every now and then I ski on my old tele gear and I must say, I feel the NTN outperforms it.

11:39 p.m. on January 31, 2013 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
2,224 forum posts

ratski said:

My Scarpa NTN Pro comps are a lighter teleboot that cranks and doesn't have the duckbill which made it a pain in the rear to kick steps in snow, potentially trip over things and yet is as comfortable as my regular hiking boots.  Trouble is, you need to by NTN bindings then.  I got into NTN because I won a pair of bindings, the freerides.  They were pretty heavy for backcountry touring, but the new freedoms just rock.  They are much lighter and ski really well.  Every now and then I ski on my old tele gear and I must say, I feel the NTN outperforms it.

Duck bills and kick stepping are non-issues; I use crampons if too steep for skins.  I also think your use of the word lighter is a realtive term, akin to the Monty Python skit quipping: the Spam spam spam eggs with spam spam spam has less spam than the spam spam spam spam spam eggs and spam spam spam spam with a side of spam spamspamspam… 

When I said long approaches I mean miles on roads and trails, for example as in the eastern Sierras the roads often are closed off at the base of the mountains, down in Owens Valley, forcing you to schlep ten miles to reach snow.  The late season can be just as bad, requiring miles on rugged trails until you reach the snow.  Are you suggesting you can walk these miles in the Pro comps? IMO most of the modern ski footwear is too heavy and stiff for pedestrian movement.  Also the NTN binding and boot set up is heavy, relative to trad 3-pin, especially for multi day mixed mountaineering trips.

Ed

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply