About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

2650-Mile Socks, Shapeshifting Shoes, and Packs that Adjust on the Fly

11:50 p.m. on July 31, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "2650-Mile Socks, Shapeshifting Shoes, and Packs that Adjust on the Fly"

A pack whose torso length can be adjusted without taking it off, a shoe with a unique body, and socks built to endure 2,650 miles of pounding. Day one of Outdoor Retailer brought a parade of wonders.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2013/07/31/2650-mile-socks-shapeshifting-shoes-and-packs-that-adjust-on-the-fly.html

1:37 a.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
Re: 2650-Mile Socks, Shapeshifting Shoes and Packs That Adjust On-The-Fly!

I like to look of that pack from what I see.

Is that a BOA system I see on the Vasque's.

Keen sox(as spelled on the packaging that came with mine.) That is a pretty Hefty claim in regards to the lifespan. I have 4 pairs of Keen sox. They are marked R & L.

If you get them mixed up they definitely feel odd being they are cut to each designated foot.

8:11 a.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
853 reviewer rep
314 forum posts

I have a pair of rubber work boots I use for yard work that just eat socks.  If the folks at Keen really want a test I could wear their socks while I mow the lawn a few times ;)

8:21 a.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,910 forum posts

Yes, that's the Boa L5 lacing system on the Vasque, Rick.

4:13 a.m. on August 2, 2013 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

The pack looks good, I quite like Lowe backpacks, although the back system sounds very similar to one that Karrimor used 30 years ago, in fact I'm still using mine.

10:06 a.m. on August 2, 2013 (EDT)
1,347 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Dyneema is used in high-end UL packs and. Interesting to see it in a pair of socks!

3:39 p.m. on August 12, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

Yes - it is a boa L5 lacing system. Dyneema is also incorporated into some ballistic vests, so it was very interesting to see it used in socks. Apparently the thru-hikers who were given the shocks have been encouraged to share their impressions here: http://www.snewsnet.com/press-release/keen-kicks-off-intensive-sock-testing-program-on-the-pacific-crest-trail/

7:56 a.m. on August 13, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,590 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

Wow! According to the link Seth provided, Keen is providing a lifetime warranty on these socks!?!?!

Does this mean a dramatic rise in the price of socks because you aren't buying new ones every few months?

3:43 p.m. on August 14, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

I couldn't believe it either GOOSE! I'm tempted to get a pair of those sox to see if I can burn them out!

10:28 p.m. on August 14, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,590 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

Seth said:

I couldn't believe it either GOOSE! I'm tempted to get a pair of those sox to see if I can burn them out!

Keep me posted.

I'm envisioning an entire AT trip with 2 pairs of socks--one for walking and one for resting.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply